OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

importing csv problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominator99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: importing csv problem Reply with quote

Hi All

I use software called Techtoniq Energy Station 2 that allows me to create a csv file from data collected over the day.
I then import this data into Calc for processing.

Until very recently everything worked fine but now, when I try to import the saved csv file into Calc, a 'csv import' dialogue box pops up with a default csv format setting of Unicode but none of the default settings that were listed in the original csv file creation ie:-
csv format - Western Europe (DOS/OS2-850 International)
Separated by - comma
Other Options - Quoted field as text
Detect special numbers
Changing the parameters in the 'csv import' box doesn't help (I need to preserve the 7 column original layout from the original saved csv file when importing into Calc)

The only way I can stop this pop up Unicode dialogue 'import' box is to reboot Win 7 & everything is back to the way it used to be ie no 'csv import' dialogue box.

I've not updated Techtoniq software & this problem didn't suddenly appear after any OpenOffice updates (version 3).
I updated OpenOffice to version 4 but that has made no difference to the problem.
I haven't installed any Win 7 updates lately.

The other thing I noticed was that if I import the csv file in Unicode format, it appears to preserve the 7 column layout from the original exported csv file but when I try to copy & paste I get a new pop up box:-

paste special

source - unknown source
selection - unformatted text

I don't know if the problem lies with Calc, Techtoniq or Win 7 but it does seem odd that rebooting Win 7 cures the problem temporarily.

Anybody out there experienced a similar problem?
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thousands of flavours of csv out there. Open your file in a text editor and drop a line here. A line of actual data tells more than a thousand words.
dominator99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Villeroy

This is the format I'm exporting in csv with following forma [1st 3 rows of the file]:-

csv format - Western Europe (DOS/OS2-850 International)
Separated by - comma
Other Options - Quoted field as text
- Detect special numbers

This format is set by the program that creates it & can't be changed

Sensor ID Timestamp Data Type Total Electricity Phase 1 Electricity Phase 2 Electricity Phase 3 Electricity Temperature_C Temperature_F
0 04/06/12 00:11 Live 1685 825 42 818 30.5 87
0 04/06/12 00:12 Live 1706 840 43 823 30.5 87

Sorry, I put 7 column layout in previous post; it should have read 9 column layout[/img]
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data copied from spreadsheet are pointless.
I want the raw data from the text file. Open the file in Notepad or anything like that.
dominator99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before, Techtoniq Energy Station 2 exports its data in csv format to any available spreadsheet that supports csv but the user (ie me) has no control of this format.

Below is the same 1st 3 rows of spreadsheet data listed previously opened in Notepad

Sensor ID, Timestamp, Data Type, Total Electricity, Phase 1 Electricity, Phase 2 Electricity, Phase 3 Electricity, Temperature_C, Temperature_F
0,04/06/2012 00:11:00, Live, 1685, 825, 42, 818, 30.5, 87
0,04/06/2012 00:12:00, Live, 1706, 840, 43, 823, 30.5, 87
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is the source with comma separated, no text delimiter, English decimals and one unspecific date column:
Code:

0,04/06/2012 00:11:00, Live, 1685, 825, 42, 818, 30.5, 87

which imports as

Code:
0 04/06/12 00:11 Live 1685 825 42 818 30.5 87

zero, some date 4th of June or 6th of April, 11 minutes, a text, 4 integers, one decimal and another integer.

I don't see any error.

When you activate menu:View>Highlight Values all data except for the text should be highlighted in blue font color. =MONTH(B2) should return the month number of the intended date in B2. If it is the wrong month number you have to switch the language option from English(US) to English(UK) or vice versa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: