OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Spreadsheets for Dummies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppopko
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Spreadsheets for Dummies Reply with quote

Confused Confused
Hello,
I have just installed "Open Office". The computer "Guy" in our local paper suggested this program. I know as much about spreadsheets as I do about "Brain Surgery"!
I have taken over the job as the secretary of our golf league, a although I have purchased a program to take care of the golf things, I would like to learn how to set up a spreadsheet so I can keep a running average for 12 men playing 20 weeks. This way I can get a true average instead of a Handicap. Like I said, I know very little about spreadsheets and will appreciate any help.
ppopko
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1st row of a sheet put in the 12 names, e.g., A1 = Jones.

In the 20 rows below enter the scores but for now enter 1 in A2. Click out of A2 then click back into it. Hover your cursor over the black box at its lower right until it changes shape then left click and drag down to A21.

In A22 enter the formula
=AVERAGE(A2:A21)
As above, this formula can be dragged across the page. Don't worry about any division by zero errors. They will go away when you enter actual scores.

Blank cell are not included in an average so this will give you a running average of the scores as of the current week.
ppopko
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
In the 1st row of a sheet put in the 12 names, e.g., A1 = Jones.

In the 20 rows below enter the scores but for now enter 1 in A2. Click out of A2 then click back into it. Hover your cursor over the black box at its lower right until it changes shape then left click and drag down to A21.

In A22 enter the formula
=AVERAGE(A2:A21)
As above, this formula can be dragged across the page. Don't worry about any division by zero errors. They will go away when you enter actual scores.

Blank cell are not included in an average so this will give you a running average of the scores as of the current week.
Quote:

John V,
Thanks you. While i was waiting I messed around with the spreadsheet and came up with this: I entered week 1 thru 18 across the top and the players down the side. I entered all the scores i have so far thru 8 weeks. I put in a formula that gave me the total of the scores each player has for the times they each played. Now all I have to do is have a formula that divides the total by the number of weeks played for an average. I hope I don't have to start over!
ppopko
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to tell you to use the Average formula instead of the Sum formula?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Spreadsheets for Dummies Reply with quote

ppopko wrote:
Confused Confused
Hello,
I have just installed "Open Office". The computer "Guy" in our local paper suggested this program. I know as much about spreadsheets as I do about "Brain Surgery"!
I have taken over the job as the secretary of our golf league, a although I have purchased a program to take care of the golf things, I would like to learn how to set up a spreadsheet so I can keep a running average for 12 men playing 20 weeks. This way I can get a true average instead of a Handicap. Like I said, I know very little about spreadsheets and will appreciate any help.
ppopko

Following on from your subject line, I would suggest getting hold of something like Excel for Dummies or any other intro to spreadsheets, such as QatroPro or Lotus123. Spreadsheet principles are basically the same for any spreadsheet--different bells and whistles but the nitty-gritty is the same.

Your local library should have some copies or you probably can pick one up in a used bookstore for a pittance. Such a book can save lots of time and head-pounding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: