OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Inexplicable behavior when printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wnc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Inexplicable behavior when printing Reply with quote

My frustration level with this suite of programs is about to boil over...hopefully someone will have a simple fix to this latest problem I've encountered.

I created an 'intro' letter for potential clients. There are database fields at the top for name, firm name, address, etc. Below that there is the salutation line. Everything seems to be working fine (ie, info is filled in from the DB).

Next is an introductory paragraph followed by several bulleted points, a small paragraph, then more bulleted points. I can print one record at a time without any problems; but, if I attempt to print more than one record (and as there are 150 records I don't need to be hitting print 150 times) I get a bunch of crap. The first page will be ok, but the following pages will have bullet points on every line at the left hand margin. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what is happening? Thanks
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you printing? Using the Mail Merge Wizard? Better to use File-->Print and say yes to form letter prompt. More info would help. Also see this excellent article http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org . Choose the print to File Option until you get this fixed.
wnc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
How are you printing? Using the Mail Merge Wizard? Better to use File-->Print and say yes to form letter prompt. More info would help. Also see this excellent article http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org . Choose the print to File Option until you get this fixed.

No, not using the mail merge wizard. Am using File-->Print. I have no idea what other information would be relevant.

I constructed a doc and used the F4 command to drag pertinent fields into the doc (name, address, salutation, etc). I choose File:Print...a popup appears that asks: Your document contains address database fields. Do you wish to print a form letter? I choose "Yes". Another popup appears titled "mail merge". From there I can select individual records, or groups of records. The document will print fine if I print them one at a time. If I try to print two or more docs only the first one will be fine and the rest will have bullet points against the left hand margin for every line of print in the doc.

Lastly, I can find no information in the link you posted that is of benefit. It appears I am making all the correct choices as mentioned in that article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: