OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Typing special characters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duncant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Typing special characters? Reply with quote

With the Spanish version of OO installed, how do I type special characters (accents, upside down question marks, twiddly things over the "n"s, etc...). Is there a special key sequence needed? Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Duncan
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend on your OS and your keyboard layout. If you're in Windows, you can either choose a Spanish-language keyboard layout from Regional OPtions>Input locale, or you can use the Alt key in conjunction with the numeric keypad to get the n with the ~ (tilde) over it, and the rest. For that sort of occasional character insertion, my app of choice is Map of Characters, I use it often.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3

Last edited by maxqnz on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
duncant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the nice little "map of characters" application.

However, I'm still trying to provide a solution for a friend who wants to do a considerable amount of typing in a foreign language (Spanish, in this case) using a U.S. purchased laptop, and I'm hoping you can elaborate a little on your answer. The alt-key will work in a pinch, but it's quite cumbersome and not really a solution for significant input.

You suggested: "...choose a Spanish-language keyboard layout from Regional OPtions>Input locale"

That sounds like it's heading in the right direction. I'm guessing this means he could just put some stickies on the keys of his laptop's keyboard, and get the special character input he needs. But how do I find out what keys correspond to what characters on the "Spanish-language" keyboard layout?

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Duncan
duncant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, silly me, I found the answers to my own questions on Google. Got the Spanish language keyboard input working. That does the job.

Now the only remaining issue I have is getting the Spanish language spelling checker to work. I downloaded and installed the Spanish language version of Open Office, but the spelling checker doesn't seem to work. I had assumed that the Spanish version of OO would include the Spanish dictionary. No? Do I have to download it separately?

Thanks,

Duncan
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spanish version of OOo does not come with the spanish dictionary, you must install it separately
duncant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Wouldn't it make sense.... Reply with quote

Doh!

It sure would be nice if the Spanish Language version of OO came with the Spanish language dictionary by default! No?

Duncan
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would be more "confortable". I remember to have read something about licensing problems that prevent the inclusion of the dictionaries, but well, life is a complex thing, I suppose...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: