OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Multiple references to same footnote/endnote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Multiple references to same footnote/endnote Reply with quote

Currently when I'm inserting footnotes OO will always create a new one. I found out that I'm able to make a cross-reference to a footnote but it doesn't seem to be the same as a footnote link. How I'm able to add several footnote references to the same footnote at the bottom of the document.

Lets say something linke this

blabla bnad sfadgsdfsd asdSDASDDA (2) ASDASDASDAS

AFSFASFA
ASDASDASD

ASDDSADD (2)

------
(2) Same footnote here
Unamiccia
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can do that in OpenOffice. Does any word processor allow this? I'm an editor, and I know of no editorial convention or stylesheet that would tolerate such a footnoting practice. Why do you want to do this?
nic
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a cross-reference to a footnote:

Select menu command 'Insert... Field... Other... References... Footnotes'.
MrStalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue so I'm just gonna go ahead and bump this despite being 7 years old. Any updates on this?

Btw, Wikipedia does it everywhere.
hcobb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you want a footnote instead of a citation?
keme

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrStalker wrote:
I have the same issue so I'm just gonna go ahead and bump this despite being 7 years old. Any updates on this?

Btw, Wikipedia does it everywhere.
The suggestion for a solution is also pushing 7 years. Did you try do do what nic described in the post above yours? It has worked ever since then.

You may need to do some intellectual effort, as nic refers to the References tab, which is labeled Cross-references in the version of Writer i have access to on this computer (3.1.1.4, Novell build, bundled with Open SuSE 11.2). (-::
RFouts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: same probem Reply with quote

I want to be able to 2 things:
1) have two different paragraphs reference to the same footnote
2) be able to add multiple footnotes to the SAME paragraph.

As for the editor who says this isn't a common editing convention, clearly they've never looked at their toaster's technical manual, or the warranty card for their TV, read a medical journal, etc.

They do it in technical writing all the time. Two paragraphs might reference the SAME information. So why make two separate footnotes? And one paragraph might have several additions.

But maybe they use citations to do it, like the other suggested?
RFouts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: A work around Reply with quote

Not exactly the right solution, but a solution.

I. To have two paragraphs reference the same footnote
1. Make a regular footnote for your first paragraph.
2. Use Superscript to fake a footnote on the second paragraph.

II. To have multiple footnotes on the same paragraph
1. Make your first paragraph.
2. Turn on superscript, add a comma, and then you can add a second footnote.
Pinkilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keme wrote:
MrStalker wrote:
I have the same issue so I'm just gonna go ahead and bump this despite being 7 years old. Any updates on this?(...)
The suggestion for a solution is also pushing 7 years. Did you try do do what nic described in the post above yours? It has worked ever since then.

I try de solution given by nic 7 years ago and this work fine. I try insert footnote before the "dubble footnote" and I see fields updated too. Fine.

The solution given by RFouts with de "fake note" fail because the field will never updated.

(Sorry English is not my native langage)
haacee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: footnotes shifting over page-boundaries Reply with quote

I have the same problem. However the cross-reference will not work for me, although I have used that for many years.
The cross-references do work technically but consider the following.
A table fits on a single page. In this paragraph there are several footnotes and several cross-references to either of these footnootes.
Now I extend the paragraph (or insert a page-break) and now I have a problem. In the table there are now 2 footnotes marked as 1. There also cross-references to either of these footnotes 1. Technically everything is still ok since each cross-reference still refers to the correct footnote, but for a reader of the text it is impossible to distinguish 1 from 1.

Any thoughts on how to mend this?

Regards,
Erik
keme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: footnotes shifting over page-boundaries Reply with quote

haacee wrote:
[ ... ]
Now I extend the paragraph (or insert a page-break) and now I have a problem. In the table there are now 2 footnotes marked as 1. There also cross-references to either of these footnotes 1. Technically everything is still ok since each cross-reference still refers to the correct footnote, but for a reader of the text it is impossible to distinguish 1 from 1.

Any thoughts on how to mend this?
If I'm reading you right...
    Tools - Footnotes/Endnotes...
    In Footnotes, set Counting to something other than "per page".
"Per document" should always be good enough, but with a lot of footnotes you will have long numbers muddying your running text. "Per chapter" will provide sufficient sectioning in most cases. (There may be ambiguous references if footnotes are referenced across chapters, or if you have multiple "chapters" on a page.)

Also, after you make changes it may be necessary to use Tools - Update... to have all references updated.
haacee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you keme! That indeed suits my needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: