OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO.calc program corrupted - what to do?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BasicGuy
General User
General User


Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: OO.calc program corrupted - what to do? Reply with quote

I have spent the last several years writing and modifying a large spreadsheet program for my business. It contains 8 sheets full of calcs. 5 of the sheets are linked for swapping data between calculations. I use a Mac.

One sheet receives weather data from an external file, then transfers that data to another sheet for calculations.

About a month ago I bumped into the Apache OpenOffice version and began to use it.

Yesterday, my program showed a lot of #div/0! and blank cells. I traced the problem to the sheet where the weather data is linked to a previous page. The table of values was blank. A message in the first cell said "the link could not be updated".

Here is the sequence of events. Weather data is read into sheet 2 from an external file using Insert/Link to external data. Sheet 5 copies the data from sheet 2 and uses it to calculate other things. The "link could not be updated" message is on sheet 5, not the input sheet 2. The data is there on sheet 2. When I reload the data on sheet 2, sheet 5 still shows the same message.

The real problem is that the 30 or 40 files I have done over the last year or so all show this error when I open them. They were obviously fine when I saved them. A friend using a PC running my program doesn't have this problem.

It looks like something broke in the application, not the individual files.

Any help would be appreciated. It would take me months to reconstruct all the different files.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BasicGuy
General User
General User


Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: More Problems Reply with quote

It looks like the OO.calc corruption extends beyond the particular files mentioned above, which are all the same, just filled with different inputs for different projects.

Another unrelated file is also corrupted. I have an invoicing file of 4 sheets that allows you to pick QTY, then it totals everything, transfers the data to different display forms (invoice, quote, manufacturing order....) and lets you print out the relevant form. I have 30 files filled with different manufacturers products, so I can open that manufacturer's file and order from them.

Now, when I click on any of the 30 files, it opens a single file (always the same one) which is an old incomplete file. In other words, I can't open any of the files I want.

If I run LibreOffice everything is fine. I have tried deleting and reinstalling OO, but I get the same results.

I believe all this happened when I downloaded Apache OO, v 3.4. Since this thread appears to be too complicated for the volunteers on this site, my only option now is to completely delete AOO and run only LibreOffice. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Posts: 400
Location: victoria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps this link may help?
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403
_________________
If your problem has been solved please add "[Solved]" to the beginning of your first post title (edit button).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BasicGuy
General User
General User


Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: [Solved] - sort of Reply with quote

Ozzie,

Thanks for the reference. I had previously made an effort to delete the Application Support folders (all of them), but I may have missed something. The result was the same as before - corrupted files.

I then erased AOO and stated using LOO, which set up a new profile and works fine.

However, I think your solution is the right one and I am keeping the reference. When AOO comes out with the next upgrade, I will give it another try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group