OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

3.4 Does nothing but crash - Want 3.3 BACK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moew27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: 3.4 Does nothing but crash - Want 3.3 BACK Reply with quote

I was informed that there was a new version of open office (3.4) so I followed the link, downloaded and installed it.

I opened a BLANK text page, typed a few letters and it crashed!
Never gave me a chance to save it.

Then the window opened to retrieve it, but that crashed too.
Tried this several times, but each time it crashed as soon as I opened it and typed 2-3 letters.

I uninstalled 3.4 and and reinstalled and it did the same thing. Sad

I want my Open Office 3.3 back!!!
How do get rid of the terrible version and get my 3.3 back again?
3.3 also crashed a lot, but at least I could get stuff done using it.

I am running windows 7 and my windows updates automatically.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, June 23, 2012

There are always problems with installing on Win7 do to the permissions requirements which that operating system requires. But I do not think this is your problem.

What you describe happens when people forget that when changing from .x to .x version that not all settings and extensions in their profile are compatible with the new version. I always recommend installing without migrating. I keep my frequently used extensions in a dedicated folder and rebuild my profile.

So you can try renaming your profile and see if that fixes the problem.

Or, you can download 3.3 from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/

and patch it from here:

http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html

This does not fix the WordPerfect vulnerability in 3.3.

Phil
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try temporarily disabling your AV and/or firewall software. Uninstall IE9, it will be replaced by IE8.
moew27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Remove corruption & start over Reply with quote

Thank you PGAFA, for your help.
Since I have no idea what Migrating is, I would certainly not have remembered NOT do it.
Before installing 3.4 I read and followed the installation instructions. Nowhere did I see anything saying there might be a problem installing the program to Win 7. Maybe such a warning should be added to protect people who use this operating system.

I have already reinstalled OO3.3 from the file left behind from the first time I installed it.
It seems the 3.3 has been corrupted from the installation of 3.4. When I use it every word is underlined in red, as if they are all spelled incorrectly. Yes, I checked the dictionary, it is set for English USA.

By profile, do you mean my name I put under User Data?

Maybe I should just totally uninstall and delete everything that has to do with Open Office and start all over again. But, since I did try to uninstall 3.4 and it left lots of problems behind I am afraid just uninstalling the 3.3 will leave problems behind as well.

=================
Thomasjk, although I have IE installed on my computer, I never use it. (I use FF) Are you saying IE9 will interfere with the installation? Or that uninstalling it will fix my open office 3.4 problem?

I will, indeed, turn off my AV when or if I install this again. But my firewall is part of my router so I will not be turning that off.
moew27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: found the user profile tutorial Reply with quote

I found the tutorial for the user profile and am in the process of trying to figure it out.
moew27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: It is working!! :-D Reply with quote

PGAGA

I followed the instructions in the tutorial for renaming my profile and OO3.3 seems to be working again! Thanks for your help! Very Happy

Now... do I chance trying to get 3.4 to work? Rolling Eyes
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you go it solved. IE9 seems to cause issues for some on WIN 7 machines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: