OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Auto line-break words with exclamation point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Llelan D.
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Auto line-break words with exclamation point Reply with quote

I have a document full of command words that all start with an exclamation point '!' like !INCLUDE.

When a command word needs to be wrapped, it is broken after the initial exclamation point instead of wrapping the unbroken word.

This only happens when the word needs to be wrapped and not elsewhere, so it doesn't seem to be an auto grammar thing. It seems to be involved with either hyphenation or just word-wrapping. The paragraph auto-hyphenation is not checked. I've also styled the word with a character style that has the language set to "None" to disable hyphenation for that style, but it still breaks after the initial exclamation point. I've also tried enabling auto-hyphenation in the paragraph style and designating a minimum of 2 characters before a break (the default) but it still breaks a command word after the single initial exclamation point.

I'd like it to stop, but I do not wish to turn off either word-wrapping or normal hyphenation. I saw a few web-searched snippets that state that hyphenation can occur after "special characters", but nothing on what those characters might be or how to either find out or configure it.

What I had expected was to be able to use a character style to turn off any auto-correcting hyphenation for a selection, but that does not seem to exist outside of eliminating the font language, and that does not work to stop this line-breaking.

Can anyone give me any clues as to what is going on here and how I can stop it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An explanation point is a punctuation mark that normally terminates a sentence and is followed by a space and it appears that OOo assumes this is the proper treatment when it comes to word wrapping. Try a different set off character like an asterisk.
Llelan D.
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am documenting something that exists elsewhere. You can not change what character is used in a set of commands you are documenting simply because your word processor does not behave properly.

Also, no space is being added after the initial exclamation point. The command word is simply broken with a line break. If you place the cursor at the end of the break after the exclamation point and hit delete, the first character after the break is deleted and not any unseen space or the line break (unless the command word is now small enough to be unwrapped).

The question was: How do I alter this inappropriate behavior of OpenOffice so I can properly document these command words?
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One workaround is to insert a non-breaking space, and to set that to a very small font size and subscript or superscript to make it even smaller.
Llelan D.
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
One workaround is to insert a non-breaking space, and to set that to a very small font size and subscript or superscript to make it even smaller.

If I were looking for a work-around, an even better way is to enable CTL which then allows you to insert a "No width No break" formatting mark between the initial exclamation point and the next letter. In that manner you do not have to fiddle with trying to hide the extra space.

However, in that path lies madness.

I would have to do this for every occurrence of a command word, literally hundreds. The whole point of a computer word processing system is to automate such tasks with styles and configurations.

I'm looking for precisely what OpenOffice component is performing this insane behavior, why, and how to configure it to behave properly. This might be a design flaw that will need a source patch, but I can't even start to consider it if I do not know what is doing it and why.

I'm beginning to fear I may have to code-dive to find this. Sad
gasyoun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:

I'm beginning to fear I may have to code-dive to find this. Sad

Hyphenation is documented really badly. I can hardly understand how to CHANGE how it works. Similar issues. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: