OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

dictionary gone - spell check dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchugan3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: dictionary gone - spell check dead Reply with quote

After installing the recent update, my spell check was turned off. When I turned it on, EVERY English language word was "new". My guess is that the dictionary file is either corrupt or missing. Anyone know if this is common and what the fix is?
cchugan3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: fixed it Reply with quote

I found a thread with a different name, but same issue, that showed me how to set my default dictionary. It appears to be working now, but why would an update change such a fundamental aspects of every install??? smh......
cchugan3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: not fixed afterall... :( Reply with quote

well, i used the F11 key to get to the "styles & format, right clicked default to modify, found the dictionary file "english USA" (yes, it had a blue check mark next to it), dbl clicked to choose it, and pressed OK. The dictionary/language choice is still there, but spell check still highlights EVERY word as wrong.

Need some help from experts after all!
cchugan3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: went through more troubleshooting to no avail Reply with quote

I went through these steps and saw no change. Even the downloaded test file did NOT show wavy lines:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512
JLunda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experiencing this same problem, despite multiple clean installations of the OOo 3.4 release. Somebody needs to give this thread some attention please, as you are unintentionally releasing some corrupted installation files (most likely). Until then, I will be going with the legacy version, OOo 3.3 for Windows.
JLunda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it seems that the spellcheck no longer works for OOo 3.3 either. Whatever it is, it's a real problem. Also, before switching back to OOo 3.3 I attempted to download and install the English language pack separately from the regular installation, but this did not help or solve the problem either.
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably something is wrong with your user profile. Reset it. Click here for help how to do that.
JLunda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for pointing that out, floris_v. I noticed that Sticky last night and was planning on trying it out today. This did indeed fix the problem. Still, there should have never been a problem in the first place, considering my installation worked with OOo 3.3 before I decided to upgrade. Therefore, I would still recommend that the developers take a closer look at the installation package they are releasing for OOo 3.4.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The user profile was corrupted by the transition to 3.4, because that uses another database model for the information in the profile, and remained corrupt after you went back to 3.3. Some people suggest that you should always rename your user profile folder when you install a new version of OOo so that running the new version will create a new one (and then you can copy data from the old one to the new).
redhen2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad when i updated office i lost the spell checker. now all lines are wavy red. i have removed all files and reloaded the 3.4 version, clicked anD unclicked hunspeller, clicked the english verions, check line shows, changed, text, paragraph to english, tried everything except that real complicated code that requires a developer to do.

it has been several days of troubleshooting. I RUN A SOFTWARE COMPANY.

Your QA on this sucks, really sucks. If one of my techs tells me there is not a problem after repeated complaints, i would fire them. Or your manager. Because you need to do a proper use case. i hate microsoft, so i spent the time to fix it, but guess what? i blew my deadline.

YOU NEED TO ACT WITH A SENSE OF URGENCY AND FIX THIS OR YOU WILL CERTAINLY LOSE A SUBSTANTIAL NUMBER OF LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

SPELL CHECK IS CRITICAL TO YOUR APPLICATION. MAYBE YOU ARE BEING SABOTAGED, BUT WHATEVER IT IS - YOU NEED TO FIX IT RIGHT NOW. OR YOU WILL LOSE BIG TIME.
keme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhen2 wrote:
Mad when i updated office i lost the spell checker. now all lines are wavy red. i have removed all files and reloaded the 3.4 version, clicked anD unclicked hunspeller, clicked the english verions, check line shows, changed, text, paragraph to english, tried everything except that real complicated code that requires a developer to do.

it has been several days of troubleshooting. I RUN A SOFTWARE COMPANY.

Your QA on this sucks, really sucks. If one of my techs tells me there is not a problem after repeated complaints, i would fire them. Or your manager. Because you need to do a proper use case. i hate microsoft, so i spent the time to fix it, but guess what? i blew my deadline.

YOU NEED TO ACT WITH A SENSE OF URGENCY AND FIX THIS OR YOU WILL CERTAINLY LOSE A SUBSTANTIAL NUMBER OF LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

SPELL CHECK IS CRITICAL TO YOUR APPLICATION. MAYBE YOU ARE BEING SABOTAGED, BUT WHATEVER IT IS - YOU NEED TO FIX IT RIGHT NOW. OR YOU WILL LOSE BIG TIME.
So you are running a software company... Upgrading critical software without a sufficient pilot test, and without a useable emergency rollback. Now you're yelling at the helpers of this forum (which is not formally affiliated to the OpenOffice.org development team) claiming that our QA sucks. Get real! Where did you find the solution that actually helped? Was it not this place here? So you found some suggestions that didn't help, but maybe they did help for other similar cases. As you have found, you are not the only one with a problem.

We are users trying to help other users here. Did you not notice that when you registered? The fact that you did not make proper preparations in your deployment is not the fault of this forum. As far as I can see you have not asked for help here either. Also, nobody here is employed by this service (AFAIK), so if you want QA procedures improved or someone fired you could perhaps look closer to home...

Welcome back when you have a problem regarding OOo that you need help with! I'm sure we'll all do our best.
redhen2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not say i was deploying software using your application. i was trying to write a simple proposal. this particular forum helped, but it took me days to find it. i went to the extension area looking to add a dictionary.

Your answer is as complicated as the red wavy problem. YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT SIMPLE.

WHY IN THE WORLD DO I HAVE TO CHANGE THE USER PROFILE. WHERE DOES IT SAY TO DO SO IN YOUR INSTRUCTIONS? I HAD TO READ SOMEONE ELSE'S COMPLAINT. AND LET ME TELL YOU, I READ A LOT OF COMPLAINTS. SO WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR US TO FIGURE IT OUT?

You are getting defensive, justifying a MAJOR PROBLEM. and this attitude is bad for business. that is the problem. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RE-CREATE THE PROBLEM, NOT TELL FOLK IT TESTED FINE. I HOPE YOUR BOSS READS YOUR REPLY, AND THEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM. I AM NOT TRYING TO GET YOU FIRED, BUT DONT TAKE IT PERSONAL. BE SELF-CRITICAL AND THANK ME FOR THE ADVISE. THEN WE LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES. BUT YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS.
redhen2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACTUALLY I LIKE THIS FORUM. MY COMPLAINT IS NOT TO USERS, IT IS TO THE DEVELOPERS. I ASSUMED THE MODERATORS WERE PART OF OPEN OFFICE, AND THAT THEY WOULD BE MONITORING THE COMPLAINTS TO IMPROVE THE APPLICATION.

I DO THANK THIS FORUM FOR PROVIDING THE SOLUTION. I AM NOT CRITICIZING OTHER USERS.
redhen2
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU READ THAT I AM " Upgrading critical software without a sufficient pilot test, and without a useable emergency rollback".

HUH? THIS IS AS SIMPLE AS WRITING A LETTER AND DOING A SPELL CHECK.

SIMPLE BABY. DONT GET SO COMPLEX!!!
keme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to simplify:

You say: "I AM NOT CRITICIZING OTHER USERS".
I say: You are addressing this forum, which consists of users, with major accusations about not addressing a problem.

You say :"You are getting defensive, justifying a MAJOR PROBLEM"
I say: I did not justify the problem. I merely told you that you are blaming the wrong community. Call it defensive, or call it helpful, as you wish.

You say: "YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RE-CREATE THE PROBLEM, NOT TELL FOLK IT TESTED FINE. I HOPE YOUR BOSS READS YOUR REPLY, AND THEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM. I AM NOT TRYING TO GET YOU FIRED, BUT DONT TAKE IT PERSONAL. BE SELF-CRITICAL AND THANK ME FOR THE ADVISE. THEN WE LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES. BUT YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS."
I say: I am not a tester. If I have solutions that worked for me, I supply them freely.
If my boss reads my postings, she may say "I hope you used your own time to write this". (which I did)
As for attitude, you might take your own advice about self-critisism.

You say: WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU READ THAT I AM " Upgrading critical software without a sufficient pilot test, and without a useable emergency rollback".
I say: I read that between the lines.
    You stated yourself that the problem arose when updating Office.
    Your statement that you missed a deadline because of this problem indicates that the office suite is critical.
    You also stated yourself that spell check is a critical component. A pilot test should address critical areas.
    The fact that you needed to search for a solution indicates that you did not have any rollback solution
A voice in my head says: Stop feeding the troll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: