Joined: 29 Aug 2008
|Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:32 pm Post subject: I have a dream...for an application
|I have an idea for an end user application, for accounting and auditing workpapers, job management, basically for accountants and auditors, etc.
I think it would use writer, calc and base, at least, in an integrated manner, because these are the disciplines involved.
It would be patterned, in part, on an older application I've used for years. I believe that the OO suite has code programming capabilities, like VB, macros, scripting, etc, that would permit building an application. I fiddled with Paradox, FoxPro and Clipper years ago, but I'm not a developer, and I know all the programing tools have changed. From those days, I recall that runtime coding ran slow, and to run fast, you needed a compiler to create machine code, to execute faster.
Here are my immediate problems:
1. Whenever I look around OO places for developers, I find developers who develop OO, not developers who use OO to develop applications to sell. Are there any?
2. Perhaps i cannot find these OO application developers because it's not a good platform for development...true?
3. If such an application were developed using OO, I wonder if it could be used directly or "ported" over for use by MS Office users?
3a. Can MS Office users read and write OO files and programs?
4. Despite word processing, spreadsheets and databases being the natural building blocks for this application, might I be better off just using a normal development tool...VB, C++, and Java come to mind?
5. Is anyone aware of any commercial applications developed using OO?
Any comments/ideas appreciated!