OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Rotating column headers on a table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajreynolds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Rotating column headers on a table Reply with quote

I'm new to Base and have a question about formatting column headings on a table on a form. I have a table with several Yes/No boolean fields. I've created a form with a table on it to display and edit the records. I added the boolean fields to the table as checkboxes, but they take up much more room than I would like. I would like to rotate the column headers to vertical so I can squeeze all of the boolean fields together and each column wouldn't take much more than the width of the checkbox.

Can anyone explain to me how to accomplish this or point me to an example somewhere that demonstrates it?

Thanks.
vallierevbpk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to rotate the column headers to vertical so I can squeeze all of the boolean fields together and each column wouldn't take much more than the width of the checkbox.

Deleted spam links - floris v, moderator
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Text rotation Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help or not, but:

Rotating text in a table cell
You can rotate text in a table cell by 90 or 270 degrees. Text rotation is useful when you have long headings for narrow columns. Select the text to be rotated and then click Format > Character. On the Position page, in the Rotation / scaling section, choose the rotation angle and click OK.

TAKEN FROM:
http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/newsite/?page_id=42

Let me know if this works out for you.
ajreynolds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anyway, but that tip appears to be for Calc, not for a Base form. At least I can't figure out how to select the header text in a way that allows setting the rotation.
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I figured it wouldn't work, but it was worth a try. You may find it easier to build a graphical form using text and check box fields instead of using the the form in table view. I had to build a form like that for the people in my office as they cannot figure out how to use a table view despite my numerous attempts to teach it to them. Rolling Eyes

I am going to be working on a form here later today. I will also play around with trying to rotate text in a header and see what I come up with. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Oh, one last question. What version of OpenOffice are you using? The new Apache version? (3.4)
ajreynolds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm using the latest version, 3.4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: