OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO won't find JRE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptoye
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: OO won't find JRE Reply with quote

Having found that OO only works with a 32-bit JRE I've installed it, but OO says that neither C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7 nor C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin contain a valid JRE. But as far as I can see they're OK, and going to the bin directory in a console session and doing a "java -version" certainly shows a 32-bit JRE.

Any ideas how to get OO to work again? Quickly? Sad
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need Java 6. OOo does not work with Java 7.
ptoye
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I found from the Community Forum. Isn't it time that OO got up to date? Yes, I know that it's not OO's fault that Java developers change things (for which a very black mark, Java), but as Java have the whip hand, there's not much else the OO developers can do. Except for putting a slightly more helpful error message saying something like "Sorry, you seem to have only Java 7, and OO needs Java 6 which can be downloaded from <URL>"
db591

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! I know it must've been a lot of work to move the project from Oracle to Apache, but I really, really had hopes that the new 3.4 release would be compatible with the "Java 7" JREs. ... Maybe a 3.4.1 release? Wink
jaybee203

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is yet another example of a company releasing software that doesn't work in all sitautions and expecting the user to sort out the mess with "fixes". Isn't about time they make sure these things work before release? I have tried all the methods given in this forum but non of them work on my 64-bit machine. Everything was fine on the old version of Open Office so I'm going to try and reinstall the old version of Open office and Java.
lugiman2009@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:

I'll try it.
Thank you for your note.
jaybee203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Java7 and Apache Open Office Reply with quote

Following advise from you experts on this forum I've re-installed Java 6 and open office 3 and everything is back to normal again. My important time wasted through a company not doing it's job properly. This isn't the only program like this but that would mean starting another thread and I don't have the time. Thanks to you all for your help.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Java7 and Apache Open Office Reply with quote

jaybee203 wrote:
My important time wasted through a company not doing it's job properly. This isn't the only program like this but that would mean starting another thread and I don't have the time. Thanks to you all for your help.

This is FREE SOFTWARE. If you need better support or think you will get more from someone else feel free to use different software.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Java7 and Apache Open Office Reply with quote

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

jaybee203 wrote:
Following advise from you experts on this forum I've re-installed Java 6 and open office 3 and everything is back to normal again. My important time wasted through a company not doing it's job properly. This isn't the only program like this but that would mean starting another thread and I don't have the time. Thanks to you all for your help.

The problem was not caused by the producers of OOo but by java.com changing a page. That link has been corrected by the OOo people.

Phil
daveopen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: JRE Message Reply with quote

I kept getting a message saying I needed to install a JRE... So having found out what a JRE is I re-installed the latest version (7) of Java only to get the same rather meaningless message.

Thankfully, I found the answer on this forum... reinstalled V6 and off we go.
- Well done guys - thanks a lot!

Now I need to find out why I cannot get the product registration to work correctly... and why options like "Add new features" won't load (more unhelpful messages such as 'Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to tools.services.openoffice.org').

But I am convinced from what I've seen that I'm getting a superb suite without putting more bucks in Bill's pocket!

Ho hum :-;
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, July 26, 2012

I am not sure product registration has been activated or necessary with the new Apache Licensing for AOO.

Phil
danielshafner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried different schemes. I downloaded a legacy version of OpenOffice.

Please, may I get URL's of the right OpenOffice download and the right Java download and also can I get basic instructions what to do with each as far as downloads, where to put what, what to uninstall?

I need to set up a database and I need to do it last week. I don't have anymore hair left in my head to pull out.

Here's what I've tried and nothing works so far:

Windows XP is my OS.

I uninstalled OpenOffice 3.4.

I downloaded and installed OpenOffice 3.3 which supposedly came with its own JRE.
I installed and opened OpenOffice and tried to select the database module and.....major fail.
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Try to delete the userprofile
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53635

You have to select a JRE in
menu --> Tools --> Options
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42390

Use also the other forum there is no spam

Romke
szechman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: need java 6 and 7 Reply with quote

I too have the same problem but I NEED to have java 7 installed. Is there a way to install both ver. 6 and 7? I am using a linux box.
sonia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this statement...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: