OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

(Sort of Solved) Queries display a repeated entry in 3.4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: (Sort of Solved) Queries display a repeated entry in 3.4 Reply with quote

Last week I updated our front end program to OpenOffice 3.4 and everything has been great. That is until yesterday...... I opened a query, and this also happens in tables, and after scrolling down part way through the results, it begins to repeat the same entry over and over if I scroll up. This makes editing tables very difficult. I have been checking around on google, the OpenOffice forums, and the MySQL forums. So far I have only found a few people with what I think is a similar problem, however it appears they have had no luck with getting any answers. I am posting this as a new thread as I have yet to see anyone actually working towards fixing this problem. Unfortunately I am not much for programming, and am fairly new to SQL. I will provide any assistance that I can, just ask.

I am running MySQL with Java connector 5.1 running OpenOffice 3.4 for front end. If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem, or knows if the O.O. team is already working on it, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I have uploaded a picture so that you can have a better idea of what it is doing. This only happens when scrolling upwards, never down. It happens if I use the mouse wheel, or manually scroll using the sidebar.

http://tinypic.com/r/28apxqs/6

7/19/12 - I am hesitant to add [Solved] on this one as it's not really solved so much as DUCT TAPED. But by changing to LibreOffice I have rid myself of this query error.

Last edited by Staffing IT on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total
vallierevbpk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to rotate the column headers to vertical so I can squeeze all of the boolean fields together and each column wouldn't take much more than the width of the checkbox.

Deleted spam links - floris v, moderator
Luxo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've noticed this behaviour on my tables as well.

my work-around, at least for now, is to jump to the last record and then back to the first record. then you can move around within the table without any problem.

m.e.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffing IT and Luxo:

Permission to ask two questions about your OpenOffice ( or LibreOffice ) suite installation:
  1. What is the Java version being used by your OpenOffice suite ?
  2. Is the Java version, 32 bit, or, 64 bit?

To get the answers to these questions, please follow these steps:
  1. Start your OpenOffice ( LibreOffice ) suite
  2. From the Menu: Tools -> Options...
  3. On the left, expand OpenOffice.org
  4. Click on Java
  5. The Version should be 1.6 . . . for example, 1.6.0_27
  6. Also, this should be a 32 bit installation of Java ( Java runtime environment ( JRE )

You can download the correct Java 1.6 and 32 bit version from:

http://java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp

and, just to repeat, OpenOffice, as of this date, requires Java Version 1.6 ( NOT 1.7 ). . . AND . . . it should be the 32 bit, NOT 64.

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions. I am out of the office for the weekend, but return tomorrow morning. I am pretty sure that I changed all of the computers to run on Java 1.6, and I know I have the 32 bit, just need to double check. Didn't think to review that when the problems started. If nothing else, hopefully the proposed workaround will solve my problems temporarily. I will keep you posted.
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, back in the office, and have checked the Java. I have 2 machines running Windows 7 64-bit OS, they have both Java 1.6.0_31 and 1.7.0_05 installed. Both are the 32-bit versions. (Verified by running the Java test @ http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp and checking the "Architecture" which is x86)

However, OpenOffice is set to use 1.6.0_31 instead. I do not know if having them both installed will effect the performance, but I am going to try uninstalling 1.7 today and see.

Again, I will keep everyone posted, and thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

EDIT: I also tried your workaround Luxo, and it does work, kind of. It does not do repeats for the most part, however there are a few spots in my tables where it will repeat the same entry 5 - 10 times. But at least it allows me to get some things done.
Luxo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Permission granted, Sliderule. Here are your answers:
LibreOffice 3.5.5.3
Build-ID: 7122e39-92ed229-498d286-15e43b4-d70da21
Embedded Hsqldb

Java SE 7 Update 05 = 1.7.0_05
OS win7 6.1 (64bit)
Arch x86

i had the same behaviour with java 1.6 on OOo 3.2, OOo 3.3, LibO 3.3, Libo 3.4.

Last edited by Luxo on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clearly explain my working environment, as of this date:
  1. OpenOffice 3.3.0
  2. Java 1.6.0_27 32 bit
  3. Various database engines, including:
    1. HSQL 1.8 ( rarely use ) both embedded and as stand alone
    2. HSQL 2.2.8 use as stand alone, both server and single-user ( my primary preferred database back-end )
    3. MySQL ODBC 5.1.48-community ( that is an older version )
    4. Microsoft Access
    5. SQLite with an ODBC driver
Just to be clear, I have not experienced the same behavior you are describing ( I do not doubt you are seeing it ) . . . just . . . my environment as described above, I cannot re-create what you are seeing.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Sliderule
Luxo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
well, i'm not too sure what to think of it.
i did test my few dbs (4, from a small db with 109 records to a big db with some 14000 records) and now none of them exhibit the visual problem.
hm, i've installed LibO 3.5.5 on the 12th july, there might have been some changes to the base part.
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....so I have found something rather unfortunate..... I have been running OpenOffice 3.4 with the automatic update client disabled because I generally wait for updates to be released for a few day before applying them, just in case. I have had this problem with OpenOffice 3.4 since the time of install and have seen no updates as of yet for it. However, I decided to install LibreOffice this morning to test it out with my database, and it does not have this issue. This issue only occurs for me in OpenOffice 3.4 (Apache). My database is set up on MySQL ODBC, not certain the version, but I am using a Java connector. It is installed on WinXP sharing to a mixed WinXP/Win7 network. I can confirm the problem on both Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows XP S.P.3.

My current and only solution to this problem was to change my frontend from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, which does not have the scrolling issues. If there are any more details that I can provide you with to try and recreate this problem, please don't hesitate to ask.
Staffing IT
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good, I have had Libre running as the front end for the whole office all morning and as of yet there have been no errors. Libre is not the ideal fix for this, as I have been a fan of the OpenOffice project for quite some time and would like to continue to use it, however I cannot use it with the current problems I am having.

Again, I would like to offer any assistance/information that I can to assist in resolving this issue and thank you Sliderule and Luxo for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: