OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] making simple piechart out of my household expenses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KhaaL
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: [Solved] making simple piechart out of my household expenses Reply with quote

I'm tracking expenses in my household with a spreadsheet that has two colums, first one is the category of the transaction, and the latter is the amount of the transaction which is printed both as a positive and negative numbers depending if its me or my partner that's paying.

To clarify how it looks, here's an example:

gas 75
groceries -50
groceries 25

What I want to do is to have a piechart of my households expenses to categorize each transactions to their respective category and then show up as a piechart, with the categories as labels and with the total amount spent in each of them along with the precentage.

so that would be:
Gas 75 (50%) and groceries 75 (50%)

[insert nice round circle here]

This would of course require all the minus signs to be stripped out temporarly, or to find another way to mark the payee of each transaction. Could someone help me out making this a reality?

Last edited by KhaaL on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: making a simple piechart out of my household expenses Reply with quote

KhaaL wrote:
I'm tracking expenses in my household with a spreadsheet that has two colums, first one is the category of the transaction, and the latter is the amount of the transaction which is printed both as a positive and negative numbers depending if its me or my partner that's paying.

To clarify how it looks, here's an example:

gas 75
groceries -50
groceries 25

What I want to do is to have a piechart of my households expenses to categorize each transactions to their respective category and then show up as a piechart, with the categories as labels and with the total amount spent in each of them along with the precentage.

so that would be:
Gas 75 (50%) and groceries 75 (50%)

[insert nice round circle here]

This would of course require all the minus signs to be stripped out temporarly, or to find another way to mark the payee of each transaction. Could someone help me out making this a reality?

why not mark the payee in another column?

Code:
Item   Amt   Who
Food   25      Bill
Food   50     Jane
Gas     75     Jane

Then just use Data > Data Pilot > etc to sum up the results as you want and graph the results from the data pilot table.

This allows much more control over analysis and is a lot easier to maintain.

BTW a pie chart is usuallly about the worst way to display data. If you get more than 3 or 4 expense categories a pie chart is close to useless for really understanding what's happening.

For your data I'd recommend, (in Calc anyway) a vertical bar chart which I think Calc actualy calls a bar chart.
KhaaL
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After fiddling with datapilot a bit, i realized that it worked wonders for my needs. Thanks a lot!
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhaaL wrote:
After fiddling with datapilot a bit, i realized that it worked wonders for my needs. Thanks a lot!

It does have its days Smile Would you go to your first post in the thread and edit it (button on top left) by ading "Solved" to the Subject header? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: