OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to limit number of rows and columns?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronC wrote:
I just have to say I find this behaviour dreadful also.

As I struggle to understand everything Open Office does, moving to a "Database" is something totally non-trivial.

I want columns A-M thanks, nothing else, no scrolling, its horrid.

AC

I expect that even with Apple Works where you can specify the number of rows and columns, all you really do is limit what is displayed. The software is smart enough to not store those huge unused areas.

If you want to freeze the screen, place the cursor in the lower right corner of the range of interest and then use Window > Freeze to force those areas to always be on the screen and you cannot scroll away from them.

It does not prevent you, however, from adding cells to other areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronC wrote:
I just have to say I find this behaviour dreadful also.

As I struggle to understand everything Open Office does, moving to a "Database" is something totally non-trivial.

I want columns A-M thanks, nothing else, no scrolling, its horrid.

AC

Well as lacole says View page break view is a workaround though not great. Increase the Zoom to roughly 120 percent or more.

Otherwise get used to scrolling. Every spreadsheet since lotus 123 and probablyl supercals has operated this way.

What exactly are you trying to do?

We may be able offer some advice if we have more information.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Special:
Step 1. Select Row 1 and deselect Cell A1:H1 Go to Data -> Group and Outline -> Group, From the popup window click on Column, Click on the minus sign at the top.
Step 2. Select Column A and deselect Cell A1:A20 Go to Data -> Group and Outline -> Group, From the popup window click on Row, Click on the minus sign at the felt side.

With a little bit of creativity you can achieve a lot..
keme

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgroenescheij wrote:
Today's Special:
Step 1. Select Row 1 and deselect Cell A1:H1 Go to Data -> Group and Outline -> Group, From the popup window click on Column, Click on the minus sign at the top.
Step 2. Select Column A and deselect Cell A1:A20 Go to Data -> Group and Outline -> Group, From the popup window click on Row, Click on the minus sign at the felt side.
Note, though, that this adds formatting info to the grouped rows/columns. While the appearance onscreen is of a smaller document, the required storage space (and hence consumed bandwidth if the file is available by net) increases.

Perhaps not a big issue, though.
jbataille

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I no it's a bit old, anyway, I was wandering if it was possible to limit number of rows too, to solve some performance issue ....

As I said, I experienced some problem with some calc sheet, what I did was to go to the last line I wanted, select all remaining cells, till line 65536 or so, then delete the content selecting all option, doing so reduced the size of the file and increase the response time of OpenOffice.

This is just a workaround, I know, but at least it help ....

What I experienced was probably due to some formulas or formats I set for entire columns.
Indeed, with just one formulas in one column I had a file of 13Mb, which is quite huge, plus if you try to remove or add columns somewhere before that one, Open Office has to rewrite all the formulas, I notice because I had a intense activity on disk when I tried to do so.

Check the size of your file, before and after the modification ....

You can also see that before operation, CTRL+END will go to line 65536 and after only to the last line you choosed to 'keep'.

Have a nice day.
Sorry my English ...
Jarvman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to limit number of rows and columns? Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to set up a spreadsheet, with, say, only columns A - H. I can see how to *hide* columns, but not how to eliminate all beyond a certain number. The max is, what 2^16? Every time I hide some, more just show, and it scrolls almost infinitely.

This is such a great, legitimate question. I'm surprised at all the irrelevant answers.

I, too, am an AppleWorks user. That's right, not a former AppleWorks user, a current one. Yes, even now, years after Apple stopped producing or supporting the app. It's THE best, easiest to use word processing app ever, IMO, and I am furious with Apple for making it entirely obsolete with the release of Lion, which does not support PowerPC apps. I wish ClarisWorks would re-emerge from its grave and take the app back from Apple. But that's off topic.

AppleWorks allows the user to set the number of rows and columns displayed with a very easy dialog. As some posters have stated in their replies, OO does not allow this. Apparently most Windows users are accustomed to this same flaw in Excel, so they don't see the need for us to set such limits.

If my spread sheet is only four columns wide and ten rows deep, why the hell should there be over a MILLION columns and rows still displayed? Yes, I get it, the app only saves the rows and columns into which data is recorded. But, dammit, I only want to see the rows and columns into which data has been recorded! Why is that too much to ask? If AppleWorks could give me that option, why can't OO? Or, for that matter, Excel?

So, Sheets, here is the work-around I figured out:
Decide how many columns and rows your spreadsheet needs and select all the cells in that range. That is, click the A1 cell and drag across and down till you have all the rows and columns selected you want. While you have those cells selected click Format->Print Ranges->Define.

Now you can click View->Page Break View and - voila! - all you see is what you want to see. At first it may appear tiny because it defaults to a small view scale. Simply adjust the scale at the bottom right corner of the window.

Now your spreadsheet appears as it would if you were to print it. If the columns are too wide or rows are to deep, it will create a Page 2 or more, so now you can adjust your column widths and row heights to fit page sizes.

Note that the million plus rows and columns are still there. You can click in the gray area of the window and select a cell that isn't displayed. To me, and apparently to you, too, this is absurd, but it's the way it is with every spreadsheet app I've seem, EXCEPT, of course, for AppleWorks. Try to be relieved with the knowledge that the app only saves the cells into which you have entered data. All the rest of those million plus rows and columns are generated by the app each time it opens. The empty rows and columns are not part of the saved file.

If you find your spreadsheet needs more or less rows or columns you can add them any time by selecting those cells and clicking Format->Printed Ranges->Add (or Remove).
scsisys
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvman....

Your first idea was not carried out far enough. Click on A1. Hold down the CTRL key,
press the Right Arrow key. Click the column header identifier (AMJ) of the last column. Using the slider bar (?) at the bottom of the sheet, drag back across to Col. I . Hold the Shift key down and click on the column header identifier ( I ). Right click on the Col. I header
and select Hide. All selected columns/rows are hidden . Right click on Col. H header and
select Show to expand.

scsisys
ristoi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limiting cols and rows is an easy task in Calc. What is the problem here?

Here is one examle how it can be done:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/Calcrajattu.gif

So an user must hide all columns to the maximum number. In picture last one is saved. If needed those hidden columns can be protected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: