OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Multiple formats of the same document using a master copy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefuzzy0ne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Multiple formats of the same document using a master copy Reply with quote

Hi, all!

I'm currently working on a book, which I'd like to be available in at least 3 formats.

1) Printed paperback
2) PDF
3) Amazon Kindle

The problem I have is that I'd like to find some way to do this so that I can have one master copy, and export the document into different formats with different configurations. For example, the eBook will be in a different font from to the paperback version. I also suspect the page numbering will vary too, as the page size will be different.

Is there any way I can maintain a master copy and generate other formats from that? I've had a look around and I can't seem to find any advice on the subject, although it wouldn't surprise me if I wasn't searching for the right terms.

I'd really appreciate any help on the matter.

Many thanks in advance.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple formats of the same document using a master cop Reply with quote

thefuzzy0ne wrote:
Hi, all!

I'm currently working on a book, which I'd like to be available in at least 3 formats.

1) Printed paperback
2) PDF
3) Amazon Kindle

The problem I have is that I'd like to find some way to do this so that I can have one master copy, and export the document into different formats with different configurations. For example, the eBook will be in a different font from to the paperback version. I also suspect the page numbering will vary too, as the page size will be different.

Is there any way I can maintain a master copy and generate other formats from that? I've had a look around and I can't seem to find any advice on the subject, although it wouldn't surprise me if I wasn't searching for the right terms.

I'd really appreciate any help on the matter.

Many thanks in advance.

No idea on how to do a Kindle but for the other two , 1 for pdf -- File > Export as PDF
2. For printed book see the printer's requiement but usually just submit a PDF

If the Kindle requires significant mods just save the book as a new file. File > Save As>
and edit it.
thefuzzy0ne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm wondering if there's a method available that will allow me to edit a master copy of the document, and for the changes to propagate down to the others. The book is likely to be updated several times a year as it's based on politics. Rather than have to edit several documents, I'd like to be able to just edit the one, and have different styles applied in the other documents. For example, the default style in the press copy may have the font set to Times New Roman (12pt), and the Kindle version may have the default style font set to Verdana (10pt).

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer?

Thanks again for your reply.
thefuzzy0ne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've semi-solved my own problem. I came across this, which seems to be about something similar to what I'm trying to achieve.

I've also discovered that if you click on File -> New, there is an option to create a Master Document. However, since the styles in the master document override those of the sub documents, I think I might need to do it the other way, and have 3 master documents that have their own styles and somehow link to the "actual" master document.

Thanks, jrkrideau and anyone else who read this post and wanted to help but was unable to.
Alki
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way to publish my first novel "Kea, The Third Way" I tried many softwares to convert my book to Amazon format. It was a tedious process, and the resulting ebook was quite bland.
This prompted me to write a software that converts OpenOffice or LibreOffice files to Kindle and Nook formats. It's very easy to use and has a couple of features to enhance the look of your ebook.
It is free and can be downloaded from here:
http://soft.alkinea.net

Let me know if it helps you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: