OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Graphic Object Placement Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSLam
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Graphic Object Placement Issue Reply with quote

Description below is based on OO Chinese Edition, whether OO 3.3 or OO 3.4, and has not been verified in other language versions.

There appears some "lleakage" issue in regard of object placement in Calc. "Object" here refers to graphic items, for example a macro button, a graph, or just an image (whether bmp, jpg, gif or whatever). "Leakage" refers to location slippage in the Y-axis.

Whenever an object is placed in the worksheet, whether it is locked or not, it begins slipping in the Y direction, and in this direction only (X appears immued to the problem). This is not obvious until the file is opened many times, for example this will be seen in a day file after using it for a week or so. When you open the object again and check the location, you will see that it has shifted, for example, from 0 to 0.1mm. This is not a big difference, but if you will imagine that this is adding each day, it is causing nuisance, and incovenience, as you will have to redo the positioning again and again.

What's moire, this "leakage" issue is affecting buttons in a very strange manner. While different buttons are defined with the same height (so that they will look neatly together), they will appear differently sometimes: say, for three buttons all defined with a height of 5mm, one of them may suddenly "swollen" but when you open the object for editing, it is still reported a height of 5mm only.

There are a few ways to get around the problem: (i) change to another worksheet in the file and then getting back - this appears working better in OO 3.4 than in OO 3.3, (ii) cut-and-paste the buttons. These can sometimes, but not always, fix the problem. If it does not work, all buttons within the same file (ie. across different worksheets) will have to be cut-and-paste in order to fix the issue.

This makes me think there may be some places within the Calc core holidng objection position data, but these are volatile instead of static subject to, say, round-up or round-downs, therefore as time goes by, the aggregated effect will become apparent to the naked eye.

It will be very very much appreciated if this could be rectified, as others (in particular customers) using Calc files are losing their faith thinking that the files will get rotten somehow.

CSLam
daniel007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have a similar or the same problem. If I open a fresh calc in Apache open office 3.4, and then size a big block of columns down to say 0.12" and a big block of rows down to say 0.05", and then place a rectangle graphic in various places and then try to move it, you will eventually see that the top left corner of the graphic is well displaced from the anchor location. The displacement is in both the x and y directions, though more pronounced the y direction several thousand cells down.

This problem is fatal to my 2003 excel files as when I convert them to calc, all the graphics are in the wrong locations ....they all print fine and preview great, ....but I can do no further design as as when adjusting graphics you really don't know where it is until you hit the page preview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: