OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do you remove a page?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: How do you remove a page? Reply with quote

I have a document with one extra page - which has one extra bottom line (Not a horizontal ruler!).

How can the page be removed from the end of the document? (I'm not asking how to remove characters, paragraphs, content, etc. I'm asking how to delete this extra contentless page.)
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the space following the last paragraph of your document is large enough to force OOo to add a page. In that case you will need to change the formatting of your document.
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
It is possible that the space following the last paragraph of your document is large enough to force OOo to add a page. In that case you will need to change the formatting of your document.

The previous page has very little on it other than hidden para marks. The format is identical to dozens of others that haven't somehow imported nonsensical horizontal text border lines - if, indeed that is what they are. As I said, it is not a horizontal rule.

Also it has nothing to do with tables (all table menu options are grayed out). I saw something about sections grayed out, but have no clue what a section is.

Even though horizontal rules are very, very, very weird things (you can't even put one in using find/replace) they are deletable. I've had these extra horizontal lines appear forever within downloaded text. I can move the lower text above them and thus push them down - even delete some, but one ALWAYS remains.

As I said, this isn't a text/content problem. I could easily back space all the hidden para marks out thus moving the extra line back on the same page as the last text - but to what end? It's still undeletable. I deliberately pushed the extra text line onto the next page assuming the great OO Writer would let me delete the page AND the extra text line. Apparently I was wrong.

Altho I do know that there are editors out there that can alter saved copy without the use of OO. Apparently such things are considered super secrets by those who know how to do it - with what software.

The only solution I've found so far is to clip the content and paste it into a new "box," leaving the extra line behind and deleted it with the whole.
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by "line". Can you go into that? If you mean real lines below a paragraph, and not lines of text, those lines are controlled in the Borders tab of the Format - Paragraph (style) dialog box.
I have noticed in the past that if you have hidden text, a word processor can get in trouble and add a page in page preview & editing mode (but not in the print preview), so if you don't really need those hidden blank lines, you might as well delete them.
keme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hard page break is shown as a horeizontal line and will cause a new page. It should be deletable...
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "line". Can you go into that? If you mean real lines below a paragraph, and not .

What am I supposed to say? They look somewhat like Horizontal Rulers but - as I said - are not Horizontal Rulers. But, as I've said, they look more like the top or bottom line of the text box/text outline or whatever you're supposed to call that thin gray line all the way around a page.

If there are several I can delete some -- but the very last one WILL NOT delete!!! Sometimes more than one will not delete.

Alternative Find & Replace finds NO page breaks so that isn't it.

These things clearly come in a downloaded text document from time to time. I have discovered that if I skip (do not highlight) the FIRST and LAST characters of the document while downloading it, I get less such garbage.
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keme wrote:
A hard page break is shown as a horeizontal line and will cause a new page. It should be deletable...

According to Alternative Find & Replace, they are not page breaks. The problem is not the space. The problem is getting those horizontal lines in with downloads and not being able to delete them all.

A work around is to copy the text ABOVE such horizontal lines and put it into a completely new text document - then over write the old one. But then I always get the original format (template????) with the wide margins - never the one that the instructions tell how to put in (called default??). Nothing EVER replaces the original format or template or what ever they are called.
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably section markers. You can check that out by opening the Navigator (Help!) and click the Sections button.
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
They're probably section markers. You can check that out by opening the Navigator (Help!) and click the Sections button.

I did have some of those at one time and clicking Navigation brought a list of what I recall as section numbers.

But, with these now, when I click Navigation all I get is a little box full of icons of various kinds. I'm guessing it shows no section numbers because there are no sections?
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's possible - without a file it's hard to tell. They could even be table cell markers, lots of html pages are still formatted using tables - have you checked that those lines don't occur in a table?
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
That's possible - without a file it's hard to tell. They could even be table cell markers, lots of html pages are still formatted using tables - have you checked that those lines don't occur in a table?

Table Delete is all grayed out, so I assume there are no tables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: