OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Please confirm and vote for Font colour selector issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wangster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Please confirm and vote for Font colour selector issue Reply with quote

We need some more votes for this issue with the font color selector.

In short, the Font colour selector does not change the font color.

More details and the place to vote is here:

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=34609

Please take the time to have a look at this as these kinds of usibility issues are the things that my users most complain about when migrating from _other_ word processors.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you and I voting for it so far, eh?

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
yorick
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Please confirm and vote for Font colour selector issue Reply with quote

wangster wrote:
We need some more votes for this issue with the font color selector.

In short, the Font colour selector does not change the font color.

More details and the place to vote is here:

Please take the time to have a look at this as these kinds of usibility issues are the things that my users most complain about when migrating from _other_ word processors.

This isn't a bug, this is just a different feature. I actually find that font painter tool really useful when editing and I'd be somewhat peeved if it got changed.

Users can do a couple of things here to do the things you want. Either set the font color in the stylist when opening the new document.

Or type a line and then use the painter to paint the text to whatever colour. Either hit escape or click at the end of the changed text, which returns the normal cursor and then carry on. The text will remain the colour of the last character in the line

Or you can highlight the text and then hit the font color button which will change it to the last colour used with the font painter. In this case the paint pot won't appear.

The color that is displayed beneath the "A" is always the last colour used by the Font painter tool.

Once you get used to the way it functions you will find it very useful indeed.

But it's most definitely is not a bug.

Yo
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Please confirm and vote for Font colour selector issue Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

Users can do a couple of things here to do the things you want.

Yo

Actually, they can't. Not one of your suggested replies addresses the issue raised by the OP, who wants a simple way to select font colour BEFORE typing a snippet of text. As the OP points out, this is trivially easy in other wordprocessors, but not possible at all in OOo. I would not call it a bug, but I voted for it as an enhancement request. It is actually easier to pre-emptively change the color of small bits of text here in these web forums than it is in OOo.

_Yiba_
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxqnz you didn't vote for it. Wangster and I did.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Yiba_ wrote:
Maxqnz you didn't vote for it. Wangster and I did.

Weird! Somehow my vote didn't count. Thanks for pointing that out. When I saw the "2" votes, I assumed it was his and mine, since I DID submit a vote. Some glitch in Issuezilla, I guess. Anyway, thanks for highlighting my mistake. I shall fix it forthwith. Laughing

yorick
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Please confirm and vote for Font colour selector issue Reply with quote

maxqnz wrote:
Yorick wrote:

Users can do a couple of things here to do the things you want.

Yo

Actually, they can't. Not one of your suggested replies addresses the issue raised by the OP, who wants a simple way to select font colour BEFORE typing a snippet of text. As the OP points out, this is trivially easy in other wordprocessors, but not possible at all in OOo. I would not call it a bug, but I voted for it as an enhancement request. It is actually easier to pre-emptively change the color of small bits of text here in these web forums than it is in OOo.

Sorry I didn't quite put that clear enough, I was descibing how to achieve the same end result with a slightly different process.

My only concern was describing a very useful feature as a bug. But an RFE is a different ball game and I'd have no problem with that so long as the Font painter was left intact.
wangster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also be emphasized that the ooCalc and ooImpress font colour selectors work differently than ooWriter's.

The ooCalc and ooImpress font colour selector changes the colour of text you are about to type and they do it in the same manor as every other word processor and font colour selector I've seen.

Only ooWriter has this different functionality.

If this different functionality is going to be preserved then the tool bar icon should be changed to something distinctly different from the uppercase "A" which is pretty much the standard symbol for selecting your font colour.

And of course, the standard font colour selector should be added as well.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wangster"]It should also be emphasized that the ooCalc and ooImpress font colour selectors work differently than ooWriter's.

The ooCalc and ooImpress font colour selector changes the colour of text you are about to type and they do it in the same manor as every other word processor and font colour selector I've seen.

Only ooWriter has this different functionality.

If this different functionality is going to be preserved then the tool bar icon should be changed to something distinctly different from the uppercase "A" which is pretty much the standard symbol for selecting your font colour.

And of course, the standard font colour selector should be added as well.[/quote

This post taught me something. I hadn't realised that Calc's colour selector does work the "traditional" way. I agree that this means the OOWriter icon should be changed if it is to retain its current "unique" functionality". Having the same button working in totally opposite ways in different app.s in the suite could be very disorienting. Perhaps you should add a comment to the issue about this, if you haven't already?

wangster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxqnz wrote:
Perhaps you should add a comment to the issue about this, if you haven't already?

The issue has a small note about that, yes.

How long do these things generally take? The issue hasn't been confirmed yet.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>How long do these things generally take?

Well, they say the Lord moves in mysterious ways, but He ain't got nothing on the Bugzilla team! Very Happy

Keep making noise about it, highlighting the inconsistency of the current setup, keep lobbying for votes, and maybe that will get something done. Many OOo regulars don't like the Format Painter diea, but enuogh newbies made enough noise, and now there is one. Of course, when asked, some regulars still choose not to mention this. Very Happy

Ernesttang
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm also facing the same problem getting the fonts with the color i wanted.

Since this is a very common feature that most users would use it, why can't it be made available sooner?

Though I dont have the voting right, i strongly support to have this function added as part of the standard feature.

Hope it can be avail ASAP.

Cheers....ernest
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernesttang wrote:
Hi

I'm also facing the same problem getting the fonts with the color i wanted.

Since this is a very common feature that most users would use it, why can't it be made available sooner?

Though I dont have the voting right, i strongly support to have this function added as part of the standard feature.

Hope it can be avail ASAP.

Cheers....ernest

You can easily GET the voting right, just by registering at http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/TLogin Once you're registered, you start off with 5 votes for each each component of OOo.

wangster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news is bad news....

More votes needed.
Teltec88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Color selection box not appearing on screen Reply with quote

Has anyone found a solution for using different font colors? When I click on the icon, I can change the text color to a rust color, but the color selection box never appears and you cannot make a selection for any other colors. It this a problem or do I not know how to use the program?

Thanks in advance! :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: