OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1.1 beta coming soon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: 1.1 beta coming soon Reply with quote

According to this post,
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=529513&listName=dev
next developer release 1.1 beta will be released by the end of Febrary.

I'm looking forword to PDF output and any other new features.
yogo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDF output is definitely something to look forward to. I might wait for the stable release though. Using a beta version of an office suite is a little scary. All that hard work on a document only to see it bludgeoned by a beta release! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 643C is any indication of how well 1.1 is going to be you will be pleaseantly surprised. I feel many things are organized better as well as the pdf output is smooth to work with. The looks are much more pleasing to the eye. Not as hard edges, good contrast. 643C still has some of the normal problems i.e. font support, some buttons that should stay in still don't.

I would be happy with 643C as a 1.1 build. I can't wait to see what more their will be in 1.1.

red
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDF output support is also very important.
I have to create an macro to handle this option in 1 click.
als I need an option to save a while when its being opened.

But for the PDF support (OOOH Yeah, hurry up with the final release, my macro isn't finished yet)

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish they improve startup speed. Running speed is more or less ok, at least on my old K6-333.

I also wish they begin to use some GTK Widgets on the Linux/Unix port as Mozilla and other projects are doing now. GTK (!= Gnome) is becoming an standard due to its license (LGPL).
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that OOo is lost territory on older systems. Maybe improvements can be made, but do not expect too much. It is futile to consider systems like yours when designing software like OOo in 2003, although it would be a nice gesture to poor countries etc. that something state of the art could run on their systems... and yours Smile

I defended MS Office 97 back in 1997 telling people that soon no one would consider it bloatware, and not many moths later, few did.

To be honest I must admit that I am dissapointed with the performance of OOo, which in fact in features can be compared to Office 97, but is outperformed by far by Office 97.

What troubles me the most is that when one OOo app crashes... all running OOo apps crashes. Business users are not going to like that...
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some input on this issue. The OO1.1 beta (build 644) runs very well on my machine (Win 98SE, Duron 700 w/256mb RAM - Laptop). I have also installed Linux and wish I could report the same success. Something went wrong and whilst I don't think I asked it to it tried to load on startup, froze and stayed there! Anyone know what I might have done wrong? To sort it I had to log in as root and uninstall.

The pdf export with 644 is great - much better than 643c as you can retain justified text. One problem with it though, is you can only export the whole document, rather than selected pages. I used to use a .pdf printer driver to do that, only when using 644 the "print to file" function for the driver appears to have been knocked out. It still works with MS Weird. NE1 have any idea what might have happened?

Ian Confused
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the PDF export embed font or is it possible? If not, then font substitution will occur on machines that has not the used font installed.

You can see it if you PDF a document with no graphics, only one line of text formatted with a special font. The file size of the PDF should be 50+ kb.

If only 10KB ... then Crying or Very sad
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear to do so, although help doesn't specifically say so..

with Windows my default font is times new roman. I have now, as a test, opened a TNR 11 pdf I exported last night with xpdf in Linux. It looks the same on both. I suppose the acid test will come when I use a really wacky font. I'll have a go at that later and report back, if you like. The file in question is 7 pages long and weighs in at 120kb.

One thing puzzles me. In the help it refers to "pdf options"whereby I am meant to be able to specify things like resolution and (importantly for me) the pages I export. I can't find this function. Using either the export button or using file\export doesn't seem to allow any changes, so I must be looking in the wrong place. Any idea of where the right place might be?

Ian Confused
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea where PDF options are set in OOo 643+ Sad

Give it a shot with the wacky font, try looking at the PDF on a Windows machine or somewhere where you are sure that the font is not installed.

Font embedding is an option in Adobe Destiller, fx. in the PDFWriter. If you embed the used fonts, file sizes grow 50KB for each font I guess.

With hundreds of fonts installed I have no idea about whether font substitution occurs or not on the PDF documents I receive, there is always an OK font to substitute with on my system.

But I guess this topic is important to some people that believes that PDF files are 100% identical to what was printed/exported.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've done one with a couple of graphics (a letterhead and a scanned signature) and 5 lines of text each in a different font. Converted to pdf in Windows, e-mailed to myself and opened in xpdf.

It looks the same in xpdf as it does in Acrobat Reader in Windows, so it looks like it does embed the fonts. File size 155kb.

For me this is a real breakthrough as most of the stuff I send over the net is either read-only or print, sign and return. Stuff for editing is rare. As a result, the .doc format has become rather less significant for me.

Ian Smile

If I figure out how to tweak the settings, I'll post it.
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, perhaps... but if you e-mailed it to yourself and opened it on the same machine, then it could have substituted the fonts...
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I've not got Linux to read the Windows partition so currently I think it's like 2 separate machines - or am I missing something?
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you're not missing anything... I just missed your point, I didn't get that you were running multiple OS'es... sometimes actually reading posts is a good idea! Very Happy

Good, sounds like font embedding to me! Phew, looks like PDF export is a winner after all! Razz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get that you were running multiple OS'es...

Trying anyway! Actually, I'm having a bit of a nightmare with OO (all versions). Firstly, I'm struggling to get to grips with the command line stuff. If I will always be the only user of the machine, is it really necessary to install as root and then again as user?

Whichever I try to run (inc OO1.0.1 installed via the mandrake add/remove programs option) when I try to run it I get the splas screen and it then hangs - it doesn't open and I can't close it. The only thing I can do is to logout. Given that it worked at first I can only conclude that I have broken something. The KDE Kernel Configurer also crashes telling me that either:

There is a problem with the kernel or
There is a bug in the configurer!

Very helpful!

Is there any way I can reinstall the kernal or am I better doing a straight reinstall of the lot,as it did work at first.

Recognise this ain't strictly OOo, but any help you can give will be much appreciated

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: