OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Copying cell formulas using drag -- without copying format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstewart
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Copying cell formulas using drag -- without copying format Reply with quote

First off, I'm very impressed with OpenOffice thus far. What a great and important project! That being said, I could sure use some help here:

I'm using the technique where you select a cell containing a formula, click on the lower right-hand corner until the cursor changes to a crosshair, and then drag over the cells to which the formula is to be copied to.

The problem is that this technique copies the formatting of the original cell as well. For example, if the original cell is at the far left of a spreadsheet with a border, and you drag-copy the formula to the right, this border is now copied to all of the destination cells, messing up their original formatting.

Is there a way to copy *only* the formula, and not any formatting at all, while still having the formula update appropriately in the destination cells?

I'm probably just missing something here, as this seems to be a pretty basic desired behavior in any spreadsheet program.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Paul
richhill
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need Edit->Copy followed by Edit->Paste Special wherin you can select just the Formula.
Paste Special works over ranges of cells without problems
pstewart
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! You're absolutely correct; Paste Special works just fine over ranges of cells. Though I had thought to experiment with Copy/Paste Special, I was hoping for an extension to the <CTRL>drag functionality that keeps values and text from updating, simply because the drag-copy operation is so quick. (One swoop of the mouse, and you're done, versus the extra clicking/key commands involved with Paste Special.)

At any rate, thanks for getting back so quickly with a solid, helpful solution to my problem. It gets the job done, and is far better than re-editing the formatting all of the time...

-- Paul
richhill
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been hesitant to suggest Paste Special but for the fact that it worked over cel ranges.

BTW: Insert key is shortcut for Edit->Paste Special - although you still get the Paste Special dialog Mad
pstewart
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would have been hesitant to suggest Paste Special but for the fact that it worked over cel ranges.

Gotcha Wink

Quote:
BTW: Insert key is shortcut for Edit->Paste Special

Thanks for that tip, also! I just love key commands...

Quote:
- although you still get the Paste Special dialog

Heh heh... Well, still not enough to cause us to go (back) to M$, I presume?

I'm still in awe of just how easy it's been to use the OO stuff overall, and how well it seems to work. For the most part, I don't miss M$'s Office a bit!

Take care,

-- Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: