OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Slow document open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allanrsmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Slow document open Reply with quote

I have a new installation of OO 1.1.3. Every document open is relitively slow, even small ones (from 30 secs to a minute or 2). There is no disk activity and no CPU activity. There is some network activity. I checked the file locations tab in the configuration options, they are all c: drive. I also tried deleting my network printer or disabling the network completely then opening documents is instantaneous!
Does anyone know what is causing the network access and how to turn it off? Note that I saw another posting that said changing the default printer to a local dummy printer would help but this does not work in my case. If there is a network printer then file open is slow.

OO 1.1.3, Windows XP SP 2.

Last edited by allanrsmith on Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's worth reporting as an issue. There have been various speed issues in the past, but I' 've not seen one as well diagnosed as that, or covering the same ground.

I've used various versions and seen quite a few cases of erratic slowness, but not that one. I have seen the application load as slowly as you describe - but not file opening. The whole thing gets confused by people who open app and doc together by clicking on the file, of course. Various suggestions have included altering the amount of memory allocated (ttols-options-openoffice.org-memory) or turning off the quickloader (!) but I think your diagnosis is new.

Pop off to http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.html and report it, I should.
allanrsmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Cause of slowness is the document's printersettings Reply with quote

I now know why some document's are slow to open and creating an alternative default printer does not help. If the document's settings refer to the network printer then, upon open, the network is accessed.
The only way to avoid this is to use 'printer settings' to point to a different (local) printer and save the document again. The alternative of removing the network printer definition from the PC works but as well, which gave me the clue to what was going on, but means that I can no longer print.

So the workaround with Writer is to define a local dummy printer and use printer settings to switch to the network printer only when you need to print.
Note that Impress starts very slowly if there is a default network printer definition. Making the dummy local printer the default printer helps with this too.

I'll raise an issue asking for this to be fixed. It is not a problem with MS Office where the printer is only accessed if you want to print or change the printer settings.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good bit of diagnosis that, well thought out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: