OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

cross-references to numbered headings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryancole
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: cross-references to numbered headings Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some structured headings like this:

1. My Section
1.1. My SubSection
1.2 My Other Subsection
2. My Second Section

etc.

I want to insert cross references to these section which show the section number (LaTeX style) e.g:

blah blah, as shown in Section 1.2 blah blah

where '1.2' is a field containging a cross-reference to section 1.2. (which shows the heading number, not the text or anything else)

How can I do this? I can only find a method of inserting e.g. page numbers etc.
thanks for any help.

Bryan
bryancole
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've figured it out ... Use Tools > Outline Numbering to set numbered headings
then insert references with the "Chapter" option (!).

Now I need to be able to make references to numbered *lines*. I can so this by setting the line style to one of the un-used heading-levels (in the Outline Numbering dialog once again) but this is not very elegant. Are there any plans to improve the cross-referencing system in OO? Something more like LaTeX would be more powerful and less clunky

Bryan
rlopes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Alternative Heading 1 reference Reply with quote

HI.

I have a further question related to this thread:
Suppose that you have the usual chapters, such as:
1 xxasd
1.1 asdd
2 poiu
2.1 yuip
and then:
Addendum 1. Plans
Addendum 2. Blueprints

In the middle of the text I want to refer to this addenduns, such as (Addendum 1). How can this be done? I already tried to Set Reference, but only the text (Plans or Blueprints) get printed. If I use Chapter, I get 2.1 (the addenduns are after the 2.1 chapter).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rui Pedro
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rui,

Assuming you don't actually need to auto-number your two Addendum just type “Addendum 1. Plans”, select only “Addendum 1”, then Insert > Cross Reference > Set Reference and give it a name. Go to the spot where you need the reference, type “See “ and Insert > Cross Reference > Insert Reference, click the name and Reference.

If you feel you must use auto-numbering then in Tools > Outline Numbering use an otherwise unused Level like Level 10 – Heading 10. Your Chapter reference to this will only show the number and will not include “Addendum” even if you put it in the Before box.
jenpc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are plans to improve cross-referencing in OO. You can see the design specification (and comment on it) by viewing issue http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=25072 . You can also vote for this issue. The change should also apply to numbering as well as headings.

Iannz has written a nifty macro that can be used until the Writer change has been made. It's available at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/ and is called OutlineCrossRef3.sxw. It's also listed at http://ooomacros.org/user.php as Heading Cross Referencer. When you use this macro, it has a dialog box that lists all your headings, and you just choose the one that you want to insert a reference to. So you don't need to manually define a reference to it first.

Jennifer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: