OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Only data points in chart - increase text space along axis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToVeR
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Only data points in chart - increase text space along axis Reply with quote

I am having problems creating a chart that does the following for me (I'll describe it):

- I have one (1) column of data, which is text (aircraft names to be more precise).
- I have another (1) column of data, which contains only numbers.

Now, I want a plot that gives the text entries of the first column on the X-axis.
On the Y-axis, I want the numeric values indicated.
On the chart, I only want the locations indicated that link the text on the X-axis, with the corresponding numeric value on the Y-axis.

I thought this would be some sort of a XY-chart, but when I do that, I arrive at something that does not look like what I want, it does not even contain the data I selected for it!
The closest I can get to what I want is by using a "Lines" chart, but then I arrive at a plot in which all the data points are connected: not what I want, I want to points individually only, NOT connected by some line Evil or Very Mad .

A further problem was the size of the field that was available for the labels on the X-axis. I managed to change the text direction (for I thought that would decrease the neede chart width). But that also did not result in what I had in mind at all Evil or Very Mad ! The text orientation changed, but now the words were chopped to pieces to fit in a way too smal text part under the X-axis. Is it also possible to make the total area the chart occupies increase, but with the chart itself keeping the same size/area, but provide in a larger space for the text that belongs under the X-axis?
I am getting really, really, ... really annoyed by this problem.
It begins to appear to me that the way to create charts in OOo and the possible options in this chart creation are not totally up to the job yet.

Anyhow, I would like to have my problems solved, for I am not waiting for a return to MS Excel if not absolutely needed (but I know how to do it in Excel).

Summarizing:

I want only data points in my chart, not connected by lines. XY does not seem to do it, line charts get the result close to what I want, but then there is the line. AAARGH!

The space available for the text labels along the X-axis. I want to see all the text! When I rotate the labels at the X-axis, I want to be able to increase the total area occupied by the chart and the axis and stuff, but in such a way that all the text becomes visible and is not chopped into pieces to fit in an almost non-existing space.
davidh182
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to be admitted that chart isn't the strongest feature of Calc Confused

However we can make progress...

If you choose line chart with symbols, create the chart and double click on the line, you can make it invisible.
You can also choose from a selection of icons for the symbols.

Then double click the x-axis and choose the 4th tab [Label]

Next to the rotate labels there is a rectangular button marked "ABCD".
This gives x-axis labels maximum room. Not very flexible, but hopefully an improvement.
ToVeR
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it has to be admitted that chart isn't the strongest feature of Calc Confused

So I noticed ... regrettably.

Anyway now it does to some extent what I want. Be it through a not that logical way.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Only data points in chart - increase text space along ax Reply with quote

ToVeR wrote:
I am having problems creating a chart that does the following for me (I'll describe it):

- I have one (1) column of data, which is text (aircraft names to be more precise).
- I have another (1) column of data, which contains only numbers.

Now, I want a plot that gives the text entries of the first column on the X-axis.
On the Y-axis, I want the numeric values indicated.
On the chart, I only want the locations indicated that link the text on the X-axis, with the corresponding numeric value on the Y-axis.

I thought this would be some sort of a XY-chart, but when I do that, I arrive at something that does not look like what I want, it does not even contain the data I selected for it!
The closest I can get to what I want is by using a "Lines" chart, but then I arrive at a plot in which all the data points are connected: not what I want, I want to points individually only, NOT connected by some line Evil or Very Mad .

A further problem was the size of the field that was available for the labels on the X-axis. I managed to change the text direction (for I thought that would decrease the neede chart width). But that also did not result in what I had in mind at all Evil or Very Mad ! The text orientation changed, but now the words were chopped to pieces to fit in a way too smal text part under the X-axis. Is it also possible to make the total area the chart occupies increase, but with the chart itself keeping the same size/area, but provide in a larger space for the text that belongs under the X-axis?
I am getting really, really, ... really annoyed by this problem.
It begins to appear to me that the way to create charts in OOo and the possible options in this chart creation are not totally up to the job yet.

Anyhow, I would like to have my problems solved, for I am not waiting for a return to MS Excel if not absolutely needed (but I know how to do it in Excel).

Summarizing:

I want only data points in my chart, not connected by lines. XY does not seem to do it, line charts get the result close to what I want, but then there is the line. AAARGH!

The space available for the text labels along the X-axis. I want to see all the text! When I rotate the labels at the X-axis, I want to be able to increase the total area occupied by the chart and the axis and stuff, but in such a way that all the text becomes visible and is not chopped into pieces to fit in an almost non-existing space.

Try this:

Create your chart without any x-axis text. If you want a better graph, use a better graphing program, such as graphmatica. When done, save the chart/graph as an image file. Now move to an image editor. You can find a great new [to me] one at Nonags called PhotoFiltre, or go bigger and use PaintShp Pro or soem such. Then you can add text [and edit it to different orientations/fonts/sizes etc.] to add to your image ...That would be the x-axis text in this case. Resave, and use in your document.

A little more work, but satisfactory results perhaps.
David.
ToVeR
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found out how I could make Calc to show all the X-axis text.

That is by changing the text direction to 90 degrees, or 270 degrees, as one prefers (anything that gives a sloped text on the X-axis is not satisfactory, for it is displayed at the wrong position). And then clear the tick boxes at "Overlap" and "Break" in "Text Flow" (all this in X-axis properties). This makes the area for the chart a lot larger, but at least one gets all his text and that is what I wanted after all...

So, one problem solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: