OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Automatic paragraph continuations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjack76
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Automatic paragraph continuations Reply with quote

This is what I want: If a paragraph is split by a page break, I want to repeat the most recent heading at the top of the next page. I also want a "Continued on next page" message at the bottom of the first page. In other words:

SUBHEAD
paratext paratext paratext
CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE
---------------------------------------- page break
SUBHEAD - CONTINUED

If a paragraph isn't broken, then no continuation messages would appear. Eg:

SUBHEAD1
paratext1 paratext1 paratext1
---------------------------------------- page break
SUBHEAD2
paratext2 paratext2 paratext2

I can do this all manually but it's a real pain when I add new paragraphs or shift things around, because I have to reformat each page. My document's already 50 pages....

Help?
Fusion
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question. As far as I know, there is no built-in feature for this purpose, and I can't think of any way to hack it. The closest thing I can think of is that Tables can have the headings repeated when they break across pages, so you could have a repeated header if you put everything in a one-column table.
pjack76
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion wrote:
This is an interesting question. As far as I know, there is no built-in feature for this purpose, and I can't think of any way to hack it. The closest thing I can think of is that Tables can have the headings repeated when they break across pages, so you could have a repeated header if you put everything in a one-column table.

Wow. I never would have thought of that. And I think it will almost do what I want, assuming you can have a table with no weird padding or borders. I've never used the Table feature before so I'll have to look into it.

But tables don't seem to have a "page break footer" feature that would insert the "CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE" message...

I'll play around with it. Thanks.
aivarannamaa
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some formula to get page number where some reference target is situated?

If yes then probably it would be possible to put reference targets to the places where page break is possible and use conditional text for displaying "continues on next page" when two references are on distinct pages.

Of cource it can be too cumbersome to use by hand but maybe it's feasible when generating the document.

Aivar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: