OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with too short urls in Bibliography table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HansCz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Problem with too short urls in Bibliography table Reply with quote

Hi!

I had the same problem as was outlined in this thread, and did as suggested. This alleviated the trouble of actually entering the full url into the bibliography database, BUT....

I then generate a bibliography using 'Insert/Indexes and Tables/Indexes and Tables...' in the menu
    I Select 'Bibliography' as the table type in the ensuing dialog
    I Press OK
I want to change what fields from the database get displayed in my bibliography. I want to display URLs as well. So I:

Right-click the newly created table and select 'Edit Index/Table'
    Click the 'Entries' tab and then select 'WWW Document' in the list
    I Click the 'All' button....otherwise it doesn't seem to update....not sure why
    I Then click 'OK'

The format has changed fine to 'WWW Document', but the URL shows up too short still...If I'm not mistaken it's truncated at 50 chars. This happens in spite of the fact that I have edited my bibliography database URL field to be a length of 150. So the URL is in there...The table display just truncates it somehow.

(note: a friend of mine said it might be possible to change the relevant settings in one of the files packed in the *.jar files. Does this ring any bells anywhere? I never changed any of this myself, but maybe you could point me to a resource outlining the contents of these jar files? I might have some luck)
Could somebody please tell me why or help me on? I am out of ideas. Thanks
HansCz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: problem solved....but Reply with quote

Yes...I solved the problem. By deleting the references to my bibliography database from my body text and then reinserting them.
After I did this, any further generations of a bibliography table yielded the full URL.

So this is what happened so far:

I made my entries in the bibliography database
I generated my first Bbliography table
I discovered the urls were too short
I changed the field length of the URL field in the database field design
I generated another bibliography table
The URL's still came out too short

I wrote the first post, not knowing what to do

I then deleted all the bibliography entries from my body text
I then reinserted them
and hey presto, the bibliography table now shows the full urls.

I then wrote this post

I am speculating here, but it seems that something is not being updated correctly. Maybe this ought to be corrected?

I hope this has been of some help to someone.
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is the way the bibliographic system is conceived. When you insert a reference from your database, you inserting the data into your document, and the bibliography is generated from the data in the document, not from the data in the database anymore. The advantage of this is that your document is independent from the original database: if you are on another system, you can still reformat the bibliography because you do not depend on your database. The drawback is that if you correct an error in your database, you will need to correct it manually in your document as well, or reinsert the reference from the database.
HansCz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah...
I see the sense in that....Smile tyhanks for the heads up...
guess I better go withdraw that issue report now Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: