OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Formula for x range is 0 to 255

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Formula for x range is 0 to 255 Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to insert a formula that means x range is 0 to 255. 0 to 255 is the set in which x is valid. The possible values of x. So I would write like to write a formula like x E [0;255]. However I can't find a way to insert the in symbol, I don't know the name of the greek letter, I think it's not epsilon, the only e-like letter I found. However I solved this greek letter problem by using the following method. To insert such a formula I first inserted a Is In set operation (a E A). I got a <?> in <?> text (simple text, not fields ?) and replaced <?> by and the next <?> by a square bracket ([a]). I then tried to find a range Formula selection but couldn't find anything that looks like [a;b]. So I decided to just type 0;255. I got the following formula :

It's only by zooming my page preview to 200% that I managed to get something readable :

So my questions are :

• Why doesn't OOo use the E letter instead of the text in ?
  • Is using the Is In set operation and square bracket the best way to insert a x range is 0 to 255 formula ?
  • How can I fix the formula display ? It's like reading x E |0;255| Sad.
  • How can I insert a E greek letter character ? It has been a while since last time I had to write math formulas Smile.

I couldn't find any topics dealing with set formulas so I hope my method will help other users to insert correct formulas, I found the tool kind of ackward, using text instead of fields for example, using is instead of the math symbol...

JM
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, you never used latex... Wink
Code:
x in [0";"255]

the " " are only for avoid the italic in the semicolon.
Think of math (or latex) like a programming language: you put your code, run it and obtain a result. The function "in" insert a binary operator that mean "this belongs to that" and expect data before and after; in fact the field you are waiting for is represented by the <?>: if you look at the "real" formula, the <?> appears like a blank square. You ask
goa103 wrote:
Why doesn't OOo use the E letter instead of the text in ?

Well, what happens if you want to insert an exponential? What character you want to use in this case? Math use "exp". The term "in" has a sense in this framework, like "over" an the whole set of instructions, and is easy to understand when you catch the "soul" of the whole thing.
At least, that's my point of view.
Good luck
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
Obviously, you never used latex... Wink

Never, you guess it well Smile. But does it mean OOo supports Latex ? I quickly checked out the chapter about Formulas and I found nothing about Latex and a search on latex returns a No topics found.

Thanks for your comments,
JM
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. OOo Math has no support for latex, but work in a similar way (using code instead of graphical tools). I name it only as an example.
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Formula for x range is 0 to 255 Reply with quote

goa103 wrote:
How can I fix the formula display ? It's like reading x E |0;255| Sad.

I found some issues about this formula display problem : square brackets in math formula are not displayed correctly and Brackets are not completely displayed.

Don't hesitate to post your comments to help us solve these issues.

JM
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand the problem now. In my system, the square brackets are displayed correctly at any scale, but I use a high resolution monitor (1152x864). I think that is a display problem: as the issue says, it seems that when the line have less than one pixel, math display round this value to zero instead to one. If you export your document to pdf what happens? Also, it could be great if you try with better resolutions and report the results
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
OK, I understand the problem now. In my system, the square brackets are displayed correctly at any scale, but I use a high resolution monitor (1152x864). I think that is a display problem: as the issue says, it seems that when the line have less than one pixel, math display round this value to zero instead to one. If you export your document to pdf what happens? Also, it could be great if you try with better resolutions and report the results

My screen resolution is 1024x768. I tried to switch to 1600x1200 and got the less display errors but there are still display errors.

1024x768

1600x1200

Once exported to PDF, I get a nice and well displayed formula :

PDF formula

But note that Adobe Reader wrongly displays the formula if I disable smoothing :

PDF formula display errors

JM
dkeith
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue here is purely a display problem. The formula will print and export to pdf fine. Try turning on antialiasing in your display manager / font server (or enable "font smoothing" on Windows)

You can get slightly different effects depending on how you put in the brackets, and here are a couple of ideas to get a smaller inclusion symbol:

Code:
x in [0, 255] newline
x in \[ 0, 255 \] newline
x in left[ 0, 255 right] newline
x size*0.7 {{}in{}} [0, 255] newline
x %epsilon [0, 255]

goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bongomaniac wrote:
The issue here is purely a display problem. The formula will print and export to pdf fine. Try turning on antialiasing in your display manager / font server (or enable "font smoothing" on Windows)

Yes but enabling smoothing doesn't fix this issue. It's just a temporarly solution to get a better display.

Thanks for the tip though,
JM
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goa103 wrote:
bongomaniac wrote:

Yes but enabling smoothing doesn't fix this issue. It's just a temporarly solution to get a better display.

Thanks for the tip though,
JM

The quality depends upon the programs AND the pdf tool.

Example: Mupad, sample file. Using the powerhouse Adobe, one section gave positively unreadable garbage, much worse than the examples here. Using a freeware program Broadgun pdfMachine, perfect all the way through. I use it constantly, and do a lot of math/graphics etc. with never any problem. They have the freeware and the pro version. I find all I need in the freeware version.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: