OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Convert GB <-> Big5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Convert GB <-> Big5 Reply with quote

I know this is slightly out of topic Confused

I need help to convert my documents created in OOo 1.0.2 with chinput as the input method under RH9. I think the document that I created is in GB.

I want to convert the entire document in Big5 without having to retype it. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert GB <-> Big5 Reply with quote

cwchia wrote:
I think the document that I created is in GB.

Sorry. I think the file is encoded in UTF8 when I look into the content.xml

I thought (correct me if i'm wrong) that since the encoding is in UTF8, I should be able to change the display by switching between GB fonts and Big5 fonts and they should be displayed properly??

I first create the documents in Simplified Chinese using Arial Unicode MS under a zh-CN KDE environment. Switching between this original font and other GB fonts under my Lin box (eg Ar PL KaitiGB) do not pose any problem. However when I change the font to Ar PL Mingti 2L Big5 then some characters are simply shown as ?. The problematic characters are those that are written differently under the simplified version.

Can someone please help?
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see

http://class.hyes.tyc.edu.tw/xoops/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=127&post_id=258&order=1&viewmode=flat&pid=253&forum=1#258

and

http://ooo.tnc.edu.tw/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=180&forum=2&jump=1
J
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in win 2k, i m using NJStar communicator to do batch converting.

www.njstar.com

go n download. i dont know bout Linux
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi J,

My Win98 box just acted strangly with njstar, that is why I had given up hope. Twinbridge just have a bug with characters that have its second byte ending with 'AD', therefore I have also given up hope on it. Chinese Star? -Just do not start from my Win98.

Moreover I am determined to switching to Lin, so bye-bye Twinbridge, njstar and Chinese Star!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cwchia Smile

Were you able to use MS IME on English OOo under Win98?

I can type chinese characters on Internet Explorer using
IME but not on any other applications that I have (Notepad,
WordPad, Word 97, etc)

I got problems with TwinBridge too and am looking for an
alternative, free one, if possible Smile

Thanks!
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Were you able to use MS IME on English OOo under Win98?

No never able to. I managed to get Twinbridge and ChineseStar to work with OOo under win98 but has since dumped TwinBridge due to some bugs in it (it always output characters with the second byte of 'ad' as a garbled/field character). Do not use Chinese Star any more due to licencing problem.

Quote:
I can type chinese characters on Internet Explorer using
IME but not on any other applications that I have (Notepad,
WordPad, Word 97, etc)

I believe that the IME will not be activated if the application do not support Chinese, assuming that you are using a English Version of Win98. See the help file of the IME, I remember reading something like that.

Quote:
I got problems with TwinBridge too and am looking for an
alternative, free one, if possible Smile

I am happy with my RedHat9+chinput+OOo. If you are using Simplified Chinese and familiar with Hanyu Pinyin then this combination is a good one. If you want to use Traditional Chinese and is familiar with Changjie then substitute chinput with xcin. These software are freely available on the net.

I have tried Mandrake 8.0 with its supplied xcin but never get it up and running because I did not knwo that I have to set my local properly before xcin will boot up. Since the frustration (due to my ignorance) I've swtched to RedHat and am happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply Very Happy

> No never able to. I managed to get Twinbridge and ChineseStar to work with OOo
> under win98 but has since dumped TwinBridge due to some bugs in it (it always
> output characters with the second byte of 'ad' as a garbled/field character). Do not
> use Chinese Star any more due to licencing problem.
>
> I believe that the IME will not be activated if the application do not support Chinese,
> assuming that you are using a English Version of Win98. See the help file of the IME,
> I remember reading something like that.

Is it possible, I mean, to have English OOo support Chinese via IME in English Win98?
Is it as simple as "activating IME" when OOo is launched? (IME works with English
Office 2000 under English Win98)

Just asking Smile

> I am happy with my RedHat9+chinput+OOo. If you are using Simplified Chinese and
> familiar with Hanyu Pinyin then this combination is a good one. If you want to use
> Traditional Chinese and is familiar with Changjie then substitute chinput with xcin.
> These software are freely available on the net.
>
> I have tried Mandrake 8.0 with its supplied xcin but never get it up and running because
> I did not knwo that I have to set my local properly before xcin will boot up. Since the
> frustration (due to my ignorance) I've swtched to RedHat and am happy with it.

I am not yet into Linux, still using Windows. Hope to have time to learn to use Linux
in the near future Smile

Thanks a lot!

Joeny
hwtan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Twinbridge with OOo Reply with quote

I am using Twinbridge CP 5.0, on win98 without any problem.

According to Twinbridge, the following is needed for CP 5.0 to work with OOo:

In twin40.ini, under [Windows Unicode CLass] add

SALFRAME=2

Select Post Unicode and use only unicode ttf fonts. Very Happy
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeny wrote:
Is it possible, I mean, to have English OOo support Chinese via IME in English Win98?
Is it as simple as "activating IME" when OOo is launched? (IME works with English
Office 2000 under English Win98)

Not sure. Will try it out. Just got a 2nd hand acer laptop with WinXP. Will experiment later once I got a better hang of WinXP. Never have it before Sad. But as I said earlier, if you are using Win98 English version then you are most likely out of luck unless you have Win98 (Chinese) instead.

Joeny wrote:
I am not yet into Linux, still using Windows. Hope to have time to learn to use Linux in the near future Smile

Try it. It is not as intimidating as it used to be (i'm referring to older versions of linux distro like RH7.x, mandrake 7.x etc which I first tried out.

Now here come my real life story...

I was playing around with my office PC and was doing some re-partitioning. Suddently the power surged and I do not have any power regulator attached to my pc. Guess what, my partition table is corrupted Sad

Need to re-install the entire system, even my date on the 2nd partition of my hdd is gone...

So make sure to practice proper precaution before partitioning your hdd.
joeny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But as I said earlier, if you are using Win98 English version then you are most likely out of luck unless you have Win98 (Chinese) instead.

Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Try it. It is not as intimidating as it used to be (i'm referring to older versions of linux distro like RH7.x, mandrake 7.x etc which I first tried out.

Will try new versions (RH9 perhaps). I've tried mandrake 7.x in the past and was
unsuccessful setting up most of my hardware.

Quote:
I was playing around with my office PC and was doing some re-partitioning. Suddently the power surged and I do not have any power regulator attached to my pc. Guess what, my partition table is corrupted
Need to re-install the entire system, even my date on the 2nd partition of my hdd is gone...

So make sure to practice proper precaution before partitioning your hdd.

Yeah, learned my lesson on that too. This just happened to me a couple of months ago,
while doing a defrag, the system just froze and the FATs were destroyed. Luckily, I
was able to recover most of my files.

Thanks!
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinXP with the appropriate Chinese IME works with OOo 1.0.2. Just one small problem, I do not like the IME. Still think that Chinput is simpler and less complicated. But I have problem setting up my acer TravelMate 230 to run RH9. So just have to put up with WinXP for awhile...
joeny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwchia wrote:
WinXP with the appropriate Chinese IME works with OOo 1.0.2. Just one small problem, I do not like the IME. Still think that Chinput is simpler and less complicated. But I have problem setting up my acer TravelMate 230 to run RH9. So just have to put up with WinXP for awhile...

Sad I am don't use XP.

I heard that XP has some cool IME support for Chinese. Somebody told me
that it has an IME via pen. Don't know if it's true.

I'll try RH9+Chinput after I finished assembling my new desktop PC.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeny wrote:
I heard that XP has some cool IME support for Chinese. Somebody told me that it has an IME via pen. Don't know if it's true.

Yes you can write your Chinese characters on the designated writting area and it will present you with a list of possible characters. It's cool, no doubt. But I believe that Chinput also have similar capability although I've never tried it before.

joeny wrote:
I'll try RH9+Chinput after I finished assembling my new desktop PC.

If you are using simplified Chinese with Hanyu Pinyin as you input method then this is a good combination. I have problem forcing Chinput to output in Big5 character set whilst still using Hanyu Pinyin as my input method. Do not know how to use the other imput method that comes with xcin which (I heard) handles Big5 better then Chinput. Never had enough time to experiment with it and then my pc crashed. (Yet another lame excuse Embarassed )never had enought time to reinstall my OS and application...
Joeny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just tried Mozilla Firebird browser on my English Win98SE and the
MS Global IME works with it. Do you happen to know what's the reason
behind an application being "unicode-enabled"? What's needed to make
the IME in English Windows work? Why can't OOo do this? (Just asking Smile)

BTW, do you know of a good tool for converting BIG5 documents created
using TwinBridge to unicode?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: