OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

hangul conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolphyo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: hangul conversion Reply with quote

Hello, at present I''m running OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 Dutch version. It is absolutely unclear to me how the Hangul/Hanja conversion function works. It simply doesn't. However much I push the converison button, Korean script is not accepted, neither when typing it, nor after copy and paste from an external source. Nor is there any mentioning of it in the Help pages. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong, or do I need to download anything?

Regards,

dolphyo
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: hangul conversion Reply with quote

If OpenOffice is not displaying Korean fonts, it may be helpful if you state which system you are using (Microsoft, Mac or Linux) and which distribution in the case of Linux, what fonts you have installed and if any other applications you have can work with these fonts.
dolphyo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Windows XP. I'm having a long list of fonts installed, but usually my hangul is in Times New Roman. My CJK program is NJ Star.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try out the OOo Korean Language page at:

http://ko.openoffice.org/

Good luck and have fun.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you have obtain the information you require on the Korean pages (I currently use Debian Linux and my use of non-Roman fonts usually stops at Cyrillic if not Modern Greek).

It's still not clear to me if you are actually getting Korean fonts to display, let alone convert from Hangul to Hanja.

Besides references to 'i18n' and 'grid display systems' I came across:

NJStar Communicator 2.30

You may need to force Unicode output to type CJK in applications like AbiWord or OpenOffice.org. Click on the rightmost button on the input bar and change the default output code to Unicode:

at: http://zsigri.tripod.com/fontboard/cjk/uniapps.html

Possibly someone using Korean fonts and the conversion facility will know exactly what the problem you have encountered is. As an outsider, it looks as if there may be a number of pitfalls.
dolphyo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for trying to help me out, but that's one of the usual solutions I would try first, and indeed, it didn't work out. I'm running NJStar Communicator 2.51, btw, sorry for not being complete. Yet, as it seems from other postings, the problem is a more general problem to 1.1.4. It did not exist in 1.1.2, I'm quite sure. The solution of turning to Korean version is interesting, but then again, I may expect any version I download to function according to standards, wouldn't it be? I do hope the issue gets resolved, or maybe someone does come up with a solution. In the meantime I'll have to stick with good old Microsoft for writing Korean text. Hope it gets resolved.
multi-lingual_ooo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the problem is a more general problem to 1.1.4. It did not exist in 1.1.2, I'm quite sure.

Probably. I read a report that the i18N files appear to have been left out of some OOo builds.

Quote:
any version I download to function according to standards, wouldn't it be?

In theory all localizations of OOo are the same, if they have the same version number. The practice is different.

a) See if there is anything on the Korean mailing list about a solution to this

b) Try either, or both the Japanese and Korean localization.

c) Live on the bleeding edge, and try the latest developer edition. [Though you lose your Dutch GUI language interface.]

xan

jonathon

http://oooauthors.org/en/members/tutorials/multilingualooo/
http://esnips.com/web/OOoRelatedThings/
http://esnips.com/web/GraphologyTools
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: