OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Beginner's question about data entry method.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElliottLake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Beginner's question about data entry method. Reply with quote

I've been using OO for a little over two months now. Liked it so much when I first saw it that all but one of the systems I work on had MSO blown out and replaced with OO.

I've got a handle on all but one of the data entry methods I used in MSOffice. That was using Data Verification (in MSO list option of data verification) to generate a drop down list to select data entries. Logging the type of work and time in a spreadsheet and system backup logs are two examples of work I use to do this way.

How do I regain the same ability in OOCalc? I'm using the 1.1.3 version of OO.

Any suggestions to this beginner will be greatly appreciated!

Elliott
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner's question about data entry method. Reply with quote

ElliottLake wrote:
I've been using OO for a little over two months now. Liked it so much when I first saw it that all but one of the systems I work on had MSO blown out and replaced with OO.

I've got a handle on all but one of the data entry methods I used in MSOffice. That was using Data Verification (in MSO list option of data verification) to generate a drop down list to select data entries. Logging the type of work and time in a spreadsheet and system backup logs are two examples of work I use to do this way.

How do I regain the same ability in OOCalc? I'm using the 1.1.3 version of OO.

Any suggestions to this beginner will be greatly appreciated!

Elliott

OOo 1.9.65 includes the list feature in data validation - I forget which version this was introduced with but it works very well including using files created or edited in Excel and in fact it's much more user friendly than the tiny little box you get in Excel - it's split in OOo Calc 1.9.65 with seperate options for a list input into the box (there is a nice big box to enter the list with list items seperated by using the Return) or using a range of cells. It is still a few months before a release version of OOo 2.0 of which 1.9.65 is the first feature complete version.
ElliottLake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I''ve downloaded both Linux and MS copies of the software and will try your suggestion.

Thanks!

Elliott
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElliottLake wrote:
I''ve downloaded both Linux and MS copies of the software and will try your suggestion.

Thanks!

Elliott

Version 1.9.69 is now on the mirrors - I downloaded a copy for Windows, there don't seem to be any release notes yet although presumably it was just bugfixes this time - it runs a lot faster and more smoothly than 1.9.65 did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: