OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problems getting a heading to span multiple columns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Problems getting a heading to span multiple columns Reply with quote

I need some help please.

I've spent hours trying to figure out how to effectively use Writer to allow me to make a heading that spans across several columns. The columns are not in a table because I need the text flow features from the left to the right column. I tried putting the heading in the header, but then the same heading repeats in the header in subsequent pages. I would use a field in the header for the heading, but then it only picks up the name of the heading if it's entered somewhere in the body of the page (where I don't want it).

So, I tried to do this with frames--only I need the header to be connected with (on the same page as) the text that it applies to. When I try to insert new pages for new content, it gets all messed up.

To give you a visual sense, I'm using a landscaped page with 2 columns for the text of songs, poems, verses, or short stories--with exactly one per page. These are indexed into two levels of heading, and I want the heading2 to span across the entire width of the page (heading 1 will get it's own page). And I want to be able to easily insert more pages anywhere into the document so that the previous text and heading will flow together to the next page.

Also, it would be nice if I could get Heading 1 to print in the Table of Contents but not within the document itself (I could do this is Microsoft Word with the hidden character formatting optinon).

Please can you help me on this?
Thanks tons! Jennifer
dfrench

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, it would be nice if I could get Heading 1 to print in the Table of Contents but not within the document itself (I could do this is Microsoft Word with the hidden character formatting optinon).
If you make this a hidden paragraph using the Hidden Paragraph field, it will not appear (condition is true and view hidden paragraph off) in the text but will appear in the TOC. Note, that this may be an unintended feature Smile
Quote:
So, I tried to do this with frames--only I need the header to be connected with (on the same page as) the text that it applies to. When I try to insert new pages for new content, it gets all messed up.
I think frames is the answer to your problem but you need to anchor the frame containing the header 2 text to the first paragraph on the page. (Select the frame, Right click, Anchor to Paragraph) Then the header will move when text is inserted on previous pages.
Quote:
I would use a field in the header for the heading, but then it only picks up the name of the heading if it's entered somewhere in the body of the page (where I don't want it).
This would allow the header2 to repeat if you go over one page for an entry. You could put the Set Variable into a hidden paragraph.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a Header containing the Chapter field (Ctrl+F2 > Document tab) with the Level item set to 2. Your Heading 2 entries will have to be the first paragraph of each page (where you want them to change) but you can select them, do Format > Characters and apply white color to them if you want them to disappear.

FWIW, I originally tried putting the Heading 2 entries in a hidden section at the beginning of the page. This worked for the header but they didn't show up in the TOC.
dfrench

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Exclamation John,
Quote:
I originally tried putting the Heading 2 entries in a hidden section at the beginning of the page. This worked for the header but they didn't show up in the TOC.

Worked for me at 1.1.2 (with the hidden heading in a frame) but not in the verson 2 snapshot 1.9.65 so, as I suggested, it may have been an unintended feature.
Opening my test document in 1.9.65 reveals that neither 'hidden' header 1 paragraphs nor normal header paragraphs are indexed in the TOC if they are within frames. Is that a good thing Question
David
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Hidden Paragraph - I felt I was overlooking something as my answer throws the top alignment of the columns off by the space required for the Heading 2 title.

I agree with you that Frames are really the best answer. Perhaps Faith was anchoring them to the page instead of anchoring to the 1st paragraph and setting Wrap to No Wrap.

Quote:
Opening my test document in 1.9.65 reveals that neither 'hidden' header 1 paragraphs nor normal header paragraphs are indexed in the TOC if they are within frames. Is that a good thing icon_question.gif
I had the same experience with 1.1.4 to 1.9.69 (even tried a Save As to the new .odt format) but found that if I created the doc in 69 then normal Heading 1s in a frame showed in the TOC.

Good or bad? The inconsistance is bad, whether hidden things should show in the TOC is sort of a philosophical question? Guess it depends on how what YOU need it to work.

If I were Faith and knew I would upgrade to version 2 then I would get 1.9.69 now and use frames. If you drag the frame above the top margin and let it fall back it will truely be at the top so "no wrap" will work properly. Once the frame is properly positioned then it can be copied & pasted from one page to the next and the title edited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: