OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

editing "default" page parameters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbechter
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: editing "default" page parameters Reply with quote

Hi, a simple question: it's straightforward to change page margins on a document-by-document basis, but is there a way to change the default setting itself, i.e., so that I won't have to do this each time I create a new document? In "Page" under "Format," I can't see any button on the order of "Save changes to Default." Hope it's possible. Thanks, Frank
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: editing "default" page parameters Reply with quote

fbechter wrote:
Hi, a simple question: it's straightforward to change page margins on a document-by-document basis, but is there a way to change the default setting itself, i.e., so that I won't have to do this each time I create a new document? In "Page" under "Format," I can't see any button on the order of "Save changes to Default." Hope it's possible. Thanks, Frank

I don't know about default settings [many more experienced people here can answer that] but you can do your margin settings etc, and then save that file. Open that each time to begin your new file and save under the new name. This involves some very minor effort, and takes only a moment or two.

David.
fbechter
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: editing "default" page parameters Reply with quote

True. But it seems sad, in principle, to have to use a back door for something so fundamental. Will do so, however, if there is no other way. Many thanks.
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: default Reply with quote

Open a blank document and do all the formatting you desire (margins, fonts, paras etc. etc.)

Click File>Templates>Save
In the field "New template" give it a name like MyTemp or anything you like
Click OK
Click File>Templates>Organize
In the left panel double-click Default
Under Default find and select MyTemp
In te righ-hand-side grey part click Commands>Set as default template>Close
Close everything

Next time you open a new Writer doc it will be based on the default template you created just now
fbechter
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: editing "default" page parameters Reply with quote

Woohooo! Awesome. Thanks!
fbechter
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: editing "default" page parameters Reply with quote

Yep, just tried this and it works perfectly. THANKS! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: