OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Dealing w/ input field differences on imported MS Word docs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtoal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Dealing w/ input field differences on imported MS Word docs Reply with quote

My organization uses a substantial number of "fill in the blank" forms made in MS Word,. A fair number of these forms are rather "dense" in terms of having a rather large number of fields to be filled in.

I would, of course like us to start moving to OO.

Our MS Word original forms are read in by OO, and the "blanks" made in MS Word are intepreted by OO as text input fields. However, my users are screaming bloody murder about the following when working with converted MS Word forms in OO:

a) An input field must be clicked on, causing a dialog to come up instead of simply providing the ability to type "inline" as on a HTML form, or an Actobat PDF form, or for that matter the original MS Word version that they have been used to for YEARS. This so severely aggravates our touch typists that this by itself is a show-stopper.

b) Tab does not move to the next field (OO inserts a tab which frequently throws off the format of the document i.e. causing it to spill over onto a second page, etc)

c) Enter should close the dialog (OO inserts a carriage return into the text input field, which throws off the formatting of the document even worse than a stray tab does)

d) There is no way it seems to control the "size" of the text input form, so as either to provide a blank of an appropriate size within the document, or to limit the amout of text that can be inserted. In many of our forms, the layout of the document itself is contingent on the size of the input field which can be specified in MS Word.

We don't want to deal with implementing databases for each of our forms as this would substantially increase the scope of the project of converting our organization to OO, as we literally have dozens and dozens of these forms.

We do however need to be able to maintain the status quo and be able to save "filled in" copies of the forms as we currently do with MS Word.

Have the above items been an issue for anyone else?

How have you dealt with them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
acolvin
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little investigation for you. If you enter the document and press shift+ctrl+F9 then the field entry box appears. Your typists can then enter the text and then press Alt+N to move to the next field.

You should be able to see if it is working because the dialogue has an entry for next field.

Not quite the same as word but then it isn't word! Razz
Andrew
mtoal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe this is an issue with 1.9.74, which is what I am using. I'll admit that I never paid attention to this in 1.1.3, which is what I used to use...

Ctrl-Shift-f9 does bring up the first field in the document, but ctril-n doesn't advance.

Additionally, there is no "next field" button.

Either way, it still won't work for my users, who are for good or bad, set in their ways.

As a side note, I've done a little checking, and I would urge anyone who cares about this to go and vote for issue number 35088.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=35088
acolvin
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes I agree with you that the dialogue is not great.
To get the next feature you need to place the cursor just in front of the first field - another thing that should be changed.

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: