OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help saving in Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSDNA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Help saving in Writer Reply with quote

Hello:

Apologies if this is well trod ground, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. I just installed OO ( complete install) under mandrake 8.2, and Writer won't let me save. First it said that "/opt/OPenOffice.org1.02/work doesn't exist", so I created that directory. Now it says "Error saving the document Untitled 1:Write Error. The file could not be written" Help! I am writer and I want to write!
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this has to do with your permissions, also check your folder since OPenOffice 1.02 is different from OpenOffice 1.02. Also I dont recall that files, folders got spaces.

Then again try becoming root and that should work. Another one is that you need to see where do you save, since you cant save on certain folders that are not under your home. /home/<nickname>/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AEG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Similar problem Reply with quote

I have just started Using OOo 1.0.1. which came with my SuSE 8.1 Professional CDs - more specifically OOo Writer.
When I try to save a document into my home/<username>/Documents directory (no filenames with special characters or spaces), I get a message saying

"Error saving the document Untitled1:
Wrong parameter.
The operation was started under an invalid parameter"

and then I am unceremoniously thrown out of the application. This happened when I used the default OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document format. Using simple Text format, saving was successful.Reopening the file was also successful. Using another format, e.g. Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP, I was able to save my test file on second attempt. The subsequent attempt to open the file crashed the application.

Is there anyone having experienced and resolved these issues?

I have already tried solving the problem by using the repair function, and also reinstalled using the YaST set up tool provided by SuSE.
AEG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Seems to work Reply with quote

I followed some of the advice to similar questions here and in the Troubleshooting section.
1. I uninstalled OpenOffice.org 1.0.1. via YAST2 (have to log in as 'root')
2. Logged in as root in a separate session.
3. Reinstalled OOo 1.0.1., again via YaSt2, in the /opt directory
4. Ran the setup, chose the network, NOT the local installation.
5. Closed the session as 'root', went back to the previous sesssion as user. Ran 'setup' in /home/<username>/OpenOffice.org directory, deleted the installation.
6, Ran OOoWriter from the menus, chose the network installation option.

Seems to be opening and closing both old MS Word as well as OOo formats flowlessly so far.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all people, make sure you got write access to the folder, you want to save to
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: