OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOW to Word Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjolly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: OOW to Word Conversion Reply with quote

I've got OO writer documents that need to convert to Word/doc or RTF files.

Pretty simple files - indented paragraphs, some centered text, a single font. All formatting is applied with styles - just 3 in the whole doc

When I save as DOC - the paragraph indents disappear. I've noticed in the DOC file that the body text now has the DEFAULT style applied.

RTF does the same thing - with the additional issue that center aligned text is now left aligned.

Anyone have any hints to getting a clean conversion?
kjolly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Word 6.0 Reply with quote

I saved the docs as Word 6.0 - and the indention seems to work ok. The only problem seems to be with line spacing in headers - which I can probably live with.

So the issue seems to be with the XP/2000 conversion filter.
9point9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: OOW to Word Conversion Reply with quote

kjolly wrote:
I've got OO writer documents that need to convert to Word/doc or RTF files.

Need to convert? Whenever you move between file formats you risk data loss and to make sure that nothing is loss you've got to check them by hand. If is is issued documents that will not need to be edited then do them as PDF's. If they're editable then who is going to be editing them and what software are they using?

You could try cutting and pasting the document into another word processor and then saving as *.doc. Try AbiWord.

This is partly the fault of MS because their file formats are not openly specified.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
lozzad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OOW to Word Conversion is there any more help out there? Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:

Need to convert? Whenever you move between file formats you risk data loss and to make sure that nothing is loss you've got to check them by hand. If is is issued documents that will not need to be edited then do them as PDF's. If they're editable then who is going to be editing them and what software are they using?

You could try cutting and pasting the document into another word processor and then saving as *.doc. Try AbiWord.

This is partly the fault of MS because their file formats are not openly specified.

9point9 and all interested. Do you still consider this to be a valid response well into 2004/5? I am, a big fan of oOo, it is a much better program than Word simply because it works logically and not in some quirky way that is MS specific. My post is not a Word vs oOo argument but specifically about conversion to Word format from oOo. I have been trying to get my oOo documents to save in Word format for some time now, and have failed to get any document to save cleanly.

I have to add here that my normal export format of choice is *of course* PDF, but for some reason recruitment people have databases that can ONLY search Word format docs, so I have to send it in that format if i want a job.

My documents, being CVs are not over complex, just a few tables and some bullet points, with a single graphic in the header. None of the oOo export formats work correctly with the doc. It's not just that the exported docs don't work correct in MS Word, they open formatted wrong in oOo!!?!

I know the issue with Word documents, and it's an old one. I worked at an Anti-Virus software company when we were seeing the first Macro viruses and we had a hell of a job getting the format from MS. However we did it in the end, and successfully wrote s/w that found the viruses.

I think that it is a bad excuse on the part of oOo that MS do not publish their formats. If you advertise that you are *fully* interoperable, then it should work *flawlessly*. Or am I missing something here?

Finally, 9point9, when normal users export they don't want to cut and paste into another program, neither do they want to run a *third* word processor to integrate between the other two! I appreciate the spirit of your post (so no offense intended of course), but while you and I are happy to do that sort of thing, if that is the only way to get it to work correctly then oOo is dead in the water for anyone other than technical people like us!

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions on this topic, or can you point me to a better source of good information on exporting from oOo?

Cheers,
LozzaD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: