OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Chinese in English font

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freemant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Chinese in English font Reply with quote

Hi,

If I input a Chinese char, select it and set the font to an English font (eg, Arial), it should be displayed as a square, right? This is the behavior on my computer, but a colleague's computer it can still be displayed as a Chinese. Both computers are running Traditional Chinese version of Win2K Pro. We've tried it in v1.1.2, v1.1.3 and v1.9.69 and all exhibit the same bahavior. It is suggesting that there is some difference between the two computers. Do you have any idea what this could be?

Thanks!
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be due to a setting in your friend's computer. He might have used the font replacement table to replace the Arial font to a Chinese font. When you do so, althought the font name may be still displayed as Arial, OOo actually uses the Chinese font.

Btw, the Font Replacement Table can be found in Tools-Options-OpenOffice.org-Fonts.

This may be out of point, but If you set both the western font and Chinese font to a Chinese font, then no matter what you type, only the Chinese font is used.
freemant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I've checked it. Neither he nor I has enabled the font replacement table.
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familar with win2k pro. Embarassed My guess is it has something to do with the language setting of the OS. Some kind of auto detection is going on in the background that automatically switching the fonts.

Does it bothers you? If not, just leave it then. Wink
freemant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I've checked the regional settings in Control Panel. They are the same on the two computers.
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In win.ini of win98, there is a list of FontSubstitutes, is there a similar feature in it? You might be able to find some hints from there. However, be careful when you look into such file, it may cause the system to crush if not careful. Back it up is a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: