OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can you use openoffice as a pdf reader if so how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webworm99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Can you use openoffice as a pdf reader if so how? Reply with quote

Can you use open office as a pdf reader if so how? I have version 1.1.4

Thank you in advance.
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo exports to PDF but does not open PDF. You have to have some version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is free.

If you want to convert PDF to be used in a regular text writer there are several of COMMERCIAL programs that do that.

One free one that you might try is called PDFTOHTML available from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:
OOo exports to PDF but does not open PDF. You have to have some version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is free. [

Actually, there are other readers out there besides Adobe. In W2K, my default is foxit from http://www.foxitsoftware.com It is a very basic reader, without the frills of Adobe, but it is also a fraction of the size of the Adobe Reader.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
webworm99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxqnz wrote:
Actually, there are other readers out there besides Adobe. In W2K, my default is foxit from http://www.foxitsoftware.com It is a very basic reader, without the frills of Adobe, but it is also a fraction of the size of the Adobe Reader.

Thank you. I like it. Do you know if it will support 7.0 pdf files and future version?
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webworm99 wrote:
maxqnz wrote:

Thank you. I like it. Do you know if it will support 7.0 pdf files and future version?

Given that Adobe is the market leader, I am sure that foxit and similar providers will have to keep up, to retain whatever market share they have. Foxit does seem to be in pretty regular development, so far.

Fortinbras
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxit pdfreader is brilliant. I love it.
When honour's at the stake.
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by the by am I the only person in the world who does NOT like PDF format? Will have to try the Foxit reader. But mostly am using the converter so documents can be edited in OOo.
Fortinbras
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:
Just by the by am I the only person in the world who does NOT like PDF format?

What is it exactly you don't like about the pdf-format?
webworm99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:
Just by the by am I the only person in the world who does NOT like PDF format? Will have to try the Foxit reader. But mostly am using the converter so documents can be edited in OOo.

I don't like pdf either. I have no idea why people use them including the irs.
The files for the pdf are bigger compared to a text file.

Since, alot of places use pdf's. You unfortunately need a pdf reader. It would be wonderful if someone developed a plug-in for all openoffice version to be able to be able to read pdf files.
Fortinbras
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that a pdf-file looks the same on any system, and that people cannot edit it. Size does matter. So here is my argument: add some digital photo's sized 3 MB to a word or writer document and see what happens to the size of that document. Then export that same document to the pdf-format. Guess which file is the smallest? PDF, of course...
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures some one Razz would ask. Well, first because some site or other is always yelling that it requires a newer edition to open.

The main reason is because it can not be edited. There is no way to add notes or highlight important parts or delete junk. Mostly what I am using is instruction manuals which need to be edited to be Cool

One of the reasons it needs to be edited, is to get rid of the dead wood. Why do PDF docs have to have so many blank pages? Like LOGO blank page, Title, blank page, Chapter titles each one full page? It is just a convention the program does not require it. But scrolling through that kind of garbage is really Sad

That would be ok if It was not such a Rolling Eyes to get converted to txt. :

All that stuff in the left screen margin/menu Confused just takes up screen real estate.

Furthermore the scrolling is axe Embarassed backwards.

Might be that more familiarity would help Smile smooth some of this out.

If I needed to post documents for open consumption perhaps it would mean more to me. Very Happy

Thanks for letting me vent. None of it is really important. Just irritating. Wink

Almost used all the smileys Exclamation Cept that this isn't Evil or Very Mad enough to get Mad
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:
OOo exports to PDF but does not open PDF. You have to have some version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is free.

If you want to convert PDF to be used in a regular text writer there are several of COMMERCIAL programs that do that.

One free one that you might try is called PDFTOHTML available from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/

An alternative to using a PDF editor is to copy and paste - you could then create a new PDF using OOo and there is the ExtendedPDF Creator (a template for OOo Writer) that adds the option of creating Bookmarks (Bookmarks are a very useful feature in PDF's):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=87718&package_id=102785

I think the main reason that PDF's are favoured is because they don't include macros (although Adobe's recent new version seemed to be introducing whole new lots of file components).

Quote:

Canvas can both read and edit PDF's: http://www.deneba.com/
but it's a commercial application - I have a rather buggy free version that will both edit and view PDF's.
Fortinbras
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:

The main reason is because it can not be edited. There is no way to add notes or highlight important parts or delete junk. Mostly what I am using is instruction manuals which need to be edited to be Cool

One of the reasons it needs to be edited, is to get rid of the dead wood. Why do PDF docs have to have so many blank pages? Like LOGO blank page, Title, blank page, Chapter titles each one full page?

It's not 'convention' only... ever heard of copyright? It's illegal to edit certain written documents. Guess you belong to the mp3-generation and don't respect creative property. Shocked
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:
Figures some one Razz would ask. Well, first because some site or other is always yelling that it requires a newer edition to open.

The main reason is because it can not be edited.

That's the whole raison d'Ítre of pdfs! They exist precisely to stop their data being edited. That is why they are the best choice for situations win which the author needs to be confident that his or her data has not been manipulated or altered without consent.

There is also the added advantage of universality - use a PDF, and you can embed fonts and images, and know that your document will look the way it is supposed to, no matter what operating system the recipient is using.

Send a DOC and it can be VERY difficult to prove that the recipient changed what you sent. Send a PDF, and you can make it VERY hard for anybody to mess with your content.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: