OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

HOWTO: Installation in a multi-user Windows environment
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dali
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Installation in a multi-user Windows environment Reply with quote

Here's an example of how you can install OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 unattended for multi-user Windows environments (not Terminal Server, multiple users on the same workstation).

OS used: Windows XP Pro (Swedish)
OOo: 1.0.1, Swedish. This instruction should work with any 1.0.x version.
Reference: Star Office 6.0 Administration Guide, http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/816-7522.

Lines beginning with "###" are comments only and must be removed if copied to a file. BEGIN- and END-lines are for readability only and should not be copied at all.

Unattended "network" installation
The term "network installation" is used because the switch "-net" is used, and that is what it's called in the StarOffice/OpenOffice.org documentation. There is however no requirement to place the files on a network drive.

The commands in this installaion are examples, they can be used with Microsoft SMS or during unattended installation of operating system. They are not supposed to be run by a normal user, (local) administrator rights are needed.

Copy the commands below to create a batch file, but follow the guidelines above about comments and which lines are supposed the be copied. Please note that some parts are only briefly mentioned and have to be inserted by you, e.g. the installation command for Sun's Java JRE.

Preparations
-------------------
- Install Java JRE unattended before OOo. See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/silent.html.

Installing
-------------------
###Unpack installation files. I have previously used cabarc.exe (free from MS here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b310618)
### to recompress the installation files into a CAB-archive. The archive is unpacked to a temp directory:
cabarc.exe -o -p x C:\Temp\OpenOffice.cab C:\Temp\
### Run OOo installation command
C:\Temp\OpenOffice\setup.exe -net -r:C:\Temp\OpenOffice\netinst.txt

Contents of netinst.txt:
======================= BEGIN ======================================
[Environment]
INSTALLATIONMODE=INSTALL_NETWORK
INSTALLATIONTYPE=STANDARD
DESTINATIONPATH=C:\Program\OpenOffice
LANGUAGELIST=46
EndProcedure=PostSetup

### Not sure if "JAVA" and "Windows_Desktop_Integration" sections are needed during network installation, but they don't seem to do any harm either.
[JAVA]
JavaSupport=preinstalled_or_none

[Windows_Desktop_Integration]
Register4MsWord=Yes
Register4MsExcel=Yes
Register4MsPowerPoint=Yes
RegisterAsDefaultHtmlEditor=No

[Procedures]
Sub PostSetup
SetReboot( False )
End Sub
======================= END ======================================

### After installation has finished, copy opens___.ttf (pick it up from C:\Windows\Fonts in a manual user installation) to C:\Windows\Fonts, example:
copy C:\Temp\OpenOffice\*.ttf C:\Windows\Fonts
### Give all users "Change" on the folder C:\Windows\Fonts and "Full Control" on the file
### C:\Windows\Fonts\opens___.ttf, othwerwise the unattended user installation will complain. Example:
echo y| cacls.exe C:\Windows\Fonts /C /E /G Everyone:C
echo y| cacls.exe C:\Windows\Fonts\opens___.ttf /C /E /G Everyone:F
### Run a user installation while logged on as admin. This registers all file associations in HKLM (for all users), which normal users aren't allowed to. See contents of userinst.txt later in this document.
### H:\ is substed to C:\Temp\HSubst before this.
C:\Program\OpenOffice\program\setup.exe -r:C:\Temp\OpenOffice\userinst.txt
### The files in C:\Temp\Hsubst can be removed. Not sure if it can be done right away, they may be locked. I do it in an automated cleanup script after a reboot.
### This concludes the unattended "network" installation.

Unattended user (workstation) installation
I've chosen to install OpenOffice for the user during logon, by placing the commands below in the logon script. This part is supposed to be run by a "normal" user with non-administrative rights.

First there should be an initial check to see if OOo already is installed for the user (not shown here, just check for "setup.log" or some other file in the users installation directory). This is the vital install part of the script currently used:

### Check that OOo network installation exists.
IF NOT EXIST C:\Program\OpenOffice\program\setup.exe GOTO THEEND
### Then check if home directory exists and is accessible
IF NOT EXIST H:\ GOTO THEEND
### Notify user that something is going on
ECHO.
ECHO Installing OpenOffice ...
ECHO.
### Before running setup, copy XML-files that prevent registration and address data source dialogs from being shown at first OOo startup. See further down for contents.
### The files MUST be present when Open Office starts for the first time, otherwise they will be created automatically and user registration etc is shown.
### The variable %SERVER% is not a standard Windows variable, it has previously been set to point to the closest server (I can't tell you how do it, it's related to our specific environment). You could probably use the standard variable %LOGONSERVER%.
IF NOT EXIST H:\XPData\OpenOffice\user\config\registry\instance\org\openoffice\Office mkdir H:\XPData\OpenOffice\user\config\registry\instance\org\openoffice\Office 1>NUL 2>NUL
COPY \\%SERVER%\NETLOGON\Resurs\OpenOffice\*.XML H:\XPData\OpenOffice\user\config\registry\instance\org\openoffice\Office 1>NUL 2>NUL
C:\Program\OpenOffice\program\setup.exe -r:\\%SERVER%\NETLOGON\Resurs\OpenOffice\userinst.txt
REM Error codes are in StarOffice 6.0 Administration Guide (816-7522.pdf), page 56.
IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" ECHO FEL: ERRORLEVEL %ERRORLEVEL% >>C:\Temp\%USERNAME%_OOinst.log
### Remove link to Setup-program from user's start menu.
DEL "%USERPROFILE%\Start-meny\Program\OpenOffice.org 1.0.1\OpenOffice.org Setup.lnk" /F /Q 1>NUL 2>NUL
:THEEND

Contents of userinst.txt:
[Environment]
INSTALLATIONMODE=INSTALL_WORKSTATION
INSTALLATIONTYPE=WORKSTATION
DESTINATIONPATH=H:\XPData\OpenOffice
LANGUAGELIST=46
EndProcedure=PostSetup

[JAVA]
JavaSupport=preinstalled_or_none

Register4MsWord=Yes
Register4MsExcel=Yes
Register4MsPowerPoint=Yes
RegisterAsDefaultHtmlEditor=No

[Procedures]
Sub PostSetup
SetReboot( False )
End Sub

Contents of Common.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Common state="modified" cfg:package="org.openoffice.Office" xmlns="http://openoffice.org/2000/registry/components/Common" xmlns:cfg="http://openoffice.org/2000/registry/instance" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance">
<Help>
<Registration>
<ReminderDate cfg:type="string" xsi:null="true" />
<RequestDialog cfg:type="int">0</RequestDialog>
</Registration>
</Help>
</Common>

Contents of Jobs.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Jobs state="modified" cfg:package="org.openoffice.Office" xmlns="http://openoffice.org/2000/registry/components/Jobs" xmlns:cfg="http://openoffice.org/2000/registry/instance" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance">
<Jobs cfg:element-type="Job">
<Job cfg:name="AddressBookSourcePilot">
<UserTime cfg:type="string">1.1.2001/11:11:11</UserTime>
</Job>
<Job cfg:name="RegistrationRequest">
<UserTime cfg:type="string">1.1.2001/11:11:11</UserTime>
</Job>
</Jobs>
</Jobs>

That's it. Works for me. Perhaps this would qualify as a mini-HOWTO, but I don't have the time to find the right people to contact for that. I'm not even sure that this is the "proper" way to do some of the stuff, especially the XML-files are a blur. There may be some typos, technical errors and/or omissions due to the way forum software handles posts (lines being wrapped and so on).

Hope this helps,
Daniel Lindgren

DISCLAIMER:
Absolutely NO guarantee that this will work for you, use it at your own risk.

Last edited by dali on Wed May 07, 2003 7:32 am; edited 6 times in total
Svenna
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SUN JAVA env URL is no longer valid Sad
use:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/silent.html
(just added the .1 in the version number)

[edit 2004-04-16]
I've just made a webpage documenting the installation.
I've tried to summarise and structure this thread, and added my own scripts/modifiaction etc.

Please take a look. I beleive it gives a good overview how how to do a domain installation and would be easier to read than what this thread has evolved to

http://www.iversendata.no/docs/smb-domain/ooodomaininstall.php

[/edit]

Last edited by Svenna on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
dali
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, updated the link accordingly. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it REALLY would be better if this was done as default like any suite. Evil or Very Mad

i think it bugs a lot of people on windows (or unix) to have to do an install as root/Administrator and next one for each user.
even if it could be script, why not include it by default.

why it is so complicated to create a default config for all user (which may eventually be impose by root/admin) and next create the ~/.openoffice or "Documents and Settings\%user%\Application data\OpenOffice\" alone ????
dali
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're kind of kicking in open doors here (no pun intended). Rolling Eyes

Everyone would love a better setup, but it doesn't exist ... yet. Until then, this instruction is a suggestion of how to make a large scale roll-out possible without having an army of admins. I couldn't find an example of how to do it so I did it myself. Use it or not, it's all up to you ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not against you, i REALLY thank you for the howto. much easy with it.

more a message to developpers.

i try to convince someone to use openoffice and i nearly succeed, but when he found it was not usable on a different user (as is), he switched back ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: What is the logon script? Reply with quote

The first part of the code that actually does the installing, where is that cod supposed to go. This is in regard to the workstation install. All the other snippets of code have file names associated, but not the starting code. I guess maybe there is a logon script in windows that I'm unfamiliar with, is that the case?
dali
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to point out that the instruction isn't a step-by-step instruction all the way; some parts are intentionally left out so that they can be adapted/changed/implemented by you. The intended audience is a fairly knowledgeable Windows adminstrator that can use this as a reference to make an adapted installation for his/her own environment.

The information in it should be sufficient for a skilled administrator. However, I may have overlooked some things. Corrections, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

In short, the instruction is divided into two parts: the "network" installation and the workstation installation. The term "network" installation is used because that is what it's called in the StarOffice/OpenOffice.org documentation. The same goes for "workstation".

The first part, the "network" installation, is done once on all client computers. The code in the example is put in a batch file, we could call it netinst.bat. To successfully run it you have to have adminstrative rights (or SYSTEM rights). In a large organisation, netinst.bat is probably executed unattended, either during the (automated) installation of the client operating system or by using some kind of software distribution system (e.g. Microsoft SMS, OnCommand CCM). The installation files and scripts are probably on a network share, but they could just as well be on a CD-R/W.

In a small organisation, netinst.bat might be started manually (from a network share or a CD-R/W) by a logged on administrator.

The second part, the "workstation" installation, is executed by every user. The code could be included in a logon script, or it could be done by instructing the users to run a batch file (containing the installation code).

My installation example is based on users moving around (using different computers), having roaming profiles and storing their personal files on a network server (their home directory). Since OOo stores the user's personal files in at least two different locations - in the user's profile and in the "workstation" installation directory - you may have to adapt the installation to accomodate for your environment.

Hope this clarifies things. I've updated the instruction with some of the info in this post.
FREE

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: RPM RED HAT Reply with quote

Isn't there any RPM for RED HAT and other distro. It would make things more easy. I would like to install the new beta...
Kikstart

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Quick and Dirty Method - Install for W2K, XP, TS / Citrix Reply with quote

You know, it is amazing to me how this is such a problem. I have over 200 users on 40+ machines. I can't log on to every machine and set prefs for each. Well, there is that script on Sun's site that helps, but the user still ends up running the workstation install anyway. Why? I have children using these public use computers. Why can't it just be set up the same for everyone easily? You know, just click the 'Writer' button and go! As some of my young ladies here have been overheard to say, "What's the big deal, yo?"

Well, it can be made to do this automatically - IF you're willing to sacrifice individual preference settings. This involves using Windows profiles. If you are unfamiliar with these, don't get too frightened. You don't have to edit the registry or anything. But you do have to create a 'perfect' user and then clone him/her to be used as the default for everyone else who logs in. Here's how I do it here:

0) Sorry, had to add this first, hence, step zero. Clear out all profiles in the c:\documents and settings folder except for the administrator. Don't do this if your users have been saving things to 'My Documents' on the local computer. That would be the suck. Have the users back that stuff up first before blowing it away. Chances are, your users have indeed been using their local profiles as a dumping ground so take care. Another thing you could do is simply move the profiles to a directory for later retrieval.

1) Log on as a privileged user. Note that I did not say, 'administrator'. Create a user with admin-like privs.

2) Install OpenOffice.org with the -net command into a local c:\openoffice\ directory. After installation, be sure that permissions are set to 'everyone' full access to that directory.

3) Go to that directory and run the workstation install.

4) Set your paths and defaults for OOo accordingly. For instance, our users store everything in their home directories so we set the 'My Documents' path to U: In addition, I set things to autosave every 10 mins.

5) Get the icons looking pretty. Choose a background / color scheme you want all users to have. Put the OOo icons in the 'All Users' Start folder. Be sure 'everyone' has permission to read/execute those icons. Sounds silly, but trust me, I've tripped up on this one myself. Set up the Internet connections, start page, and other program defaults the way everyone should see them.

6) Be sure to disconnect any and all network drives from 'My Computer'. Otherwise these drives will attempt to get mapped by every other user sharing this profile.

7) Log out, and log back in as an Administrator

8 ) Right-click on 'My Computer' and go to properties. Go to the user profiles tab. Select the user you just logged out as and click on 'copy'. The path to use is generally: c:\documents and settings\default user. By the way, if this doesn't work, you may need to restart the computer first. Why? There is this bug (what, Microsoft?), where IE can keep the index.dat file open between users. If you can't copy the profile because of this file (and it will tell you), then restart the computer, log back in as the Administrator, and then copy.

9) IMPORTANT! You need to then set permissions on this profile to 'EVERYONE'. This is also done through profile copy utility located just below the path. If you don't, only that user will be able to use that profile.

10) Test new default profile by logging in as a regular user. You should be able to simply use OOo now as any new user on the box. Anyone who did not get their profiles erased initially will not be able to use OOo.

Assumptions: I use a windows domain here - all users are domain users. All users have a home directory where they store all their stuff. Students have been warned never to use 'My Documents' on the local computers as at any time, I might need to wipe these images and start fresh. I can't always take the time to ask for their permission.

Anyway, if you're not using a domain, than you'll be using local users. How you do this is up to you, but the process is basically the same.

Now for the bad news. The bad news is, doing this this way means that whatever defaults a user changes will change them for everyone. Sample: 'Sally' logs into the computer and turns off spell checking. In addition, she sets the page view at 500%. She then quits and logs off. When the next user sits down.. Uhh. You guessed it, they get the same exact prefs Sally had.

Now, I haven't found this to be too much of an issue and I've even been running this on a fairly active Terminal Server all year too. I can count only a few instances where this has been a problem.

Asking my girls here to have to run a workstation install the first time they log in would be reasonable if they always sat down at the same computers everyday. Asking them to do it on all 40+ machines is ludicrous - I have two labs full of computers here, PLUS the terminal server! Also, that means every time I blow in a new image they get to do it all again... ON EACH MACHINE! This is a far better solution for us. I hope multiuser installs are a bit more flexible and easy to do in 1.1 or at the very least, they don't break this method for me. Wink

And mad props to all you OOo experts out there but please, don't flame me for this. I said it was quick and dirty didn't I?
Svenna
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Quick and Dirty Method - Install for W2K, XP, TS / Citri Reply with quote

[quote="Kikstart"]Asking my girls here to have to run a workstation install the first time they log in would be reasonable if they always sat down at the same computers everyday. Asking them to do it on all 40+ machines is ludicrous - I have two labs full of computers here, PLUS the terminal server! Also, that means every time I blow in a new image they get to do it all again... ON EACH MACHINE! [quote]

Are you using at NT domain, without roaming profiles?
If you use roaming profiles every user have to settup ooo, but only once. (If all client are w2k/xp) you have to to it again for 9x.
But twice is the maximum, for one installation. Then thay have to to it again when you upgrade ooo Sad
Thay also loos alle their settings, and thay really bugs me. That the default profiles storage folder contins the complete version number Sad
mcdragon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Multiuser Windows UPDATE??!! Reply with quote

Hi folks

I installed OO 1.0.2 on our Netware server.

When a user wishes to install OO he clicks on the setup link and installs it on his user directory on the server. Great. The user can use OO on any machine as long as he logs in properly and that OO has been previously installed on that machine.

Now the big question that so far I haven't found the answer to is, how to upgrade this server installation. OK, you can start the setup with the -net switch but how will you upgrade all the user settings?

Martin
drpyromd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Server Install Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a server net install and then run the workstation intall off of the server for each user?

I have tried this with a network share between 2 PCs and it worked with a little lag. I am hoping on a server it would run a lot better. Has anyone tested this?

We have both 2000 and NT servers with about 130 workstations within the organization. Just experimenting with ways to implement open office.

Thanks.
Christophe Bersihand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: response file Reply with quote

In the documentation (816-7522.pdf) which explains how to create a response file for a silent install of OOo, there is an inconsistency.
To avoid registering msword documents as openoffice documents, the doc says that Register4MsWord has to be set to No but in the example you can find Register4MsWord=FALSE!
So No or False ???

here is an exerpt of the documentation
REGISTER4MSWORD
Values
Yes StarOffice will register for Microsoft Word files.
No StarOffice will not register for Microsoft Word files.
Example
Register4MsWord=FALSE

I tried both "Register4MsWord=FALSE" and "Register4MsWord=No" in my response file but both failed and all my msword docs where registered as OOo docs.

In fact, it seems to be a bug : it's not Register4MsWord but "RegisterForMsWord, I tried with '"No" and it worked.

DaveC
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Am I missing something here Reply with quote

Hi there,

Everything I have read on the website and this forum (including this thread) would indicate that this shouldn't work - but it does.

Using XP Home, I ran a standard, single user installation for OOo 1.1RC and installed into C:/Program Files\OpenOffice. Nothing special at all.

Just to test it, I opened Windows Explorer and moved the installed Program Group from the Programs menu of the UserID I used to do the install to the Programs menu of "All Users" (just clicked and dragged), and it works great on all users without any problems and no need for any additional installation.

The only thing missing on the other User logins is the QuickLaunch icon in the system tray, which to be honest I will probably never use anyway.

Am I just reading too much into the multi-user thing, and it doesn't apply where the different users simply have different desktop and My Documents environments, or is this a fluke?

Confused

Check out my band's stuff @ www.soundclick.com/thereign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: