OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Print Booklet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you find a "Print Booklet" option to be useful?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 15 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

openRolf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Print Booklet Reply with quote

As a Work Perfect user, one of the things that I miss in other packages is the ability to print booklets. Word Perfect will do this out of the box, but no other word processor that I know of will.

Are there any plans to incorporate this feature in Open Office? (Some one please say "Yes.")
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean...

Tools > Options > Text Document > Print > "Pages" > Brochure

or just write your document, then when you go to print select Options... and click Brochure Question

BFN Smile,
openRolf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BFN, I hadn't seen that before.

It works quite a bit differently than Word Perfect, but after a little playing around I got it figured out and it does the job.

I'm a happy camper. Very Happy
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other program that I come across this feature is the IMSI Publisher. This program automized almost everything. Very cool.

Could someone tell me in detail how Brochure works? The help file is just too brief on this topic and I do not have a lot of money to spend on ink and paper to try out this feature.

I presume that I need to first calculate the pages to be printed on each sheet, for example on a 20 pages booklet with five sheets of paper, the pages on each sheet will be as follow:

(F for front and B for back)
Sheet 1
F: 1, 20
B: 2,19

Sheet 2
F:3,18
B:4,17

Sheet 3
F:5,16
B:6,15

Sheet 4
F:7,14
B:8,13

Sheet 5
F:9, 12
B:10,11

So when I print the first sheet, I would have to print page 1;20, am I right? Do I have to set the reverse feature? The fundamental question is which side (right or left) of a sheet does the Brochure feature takes as the first page (without turning on the reverse feature)?

I notice that if I enter 1;20;3;18, on my printer it would come out as page 1 and 3 on one side and page 18 and 20 on the next, which mean the printer driver actually sorted the pages before printing which is undesirable. Because that would mean that I have to print one sheet at a time.
openRolf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you need to calculate is the size of the display page. For example, lets say that you want to print a booklet on letter sized paper (8.5 x 11). Create a new document using a custom paper size that is half letter (5.5 x 8.5 vertical or "portrait"). When you print your booklet, be sure the printer is set to use letter sized paper, horizontal or "landscape". Under Options, select "brochure." I don't have a duplexing printer (a printer that will automatically print front and back of a page), but I assume that if you do, select both "left pages" and "right pages" under options. If your printer will print only one side of a page, first print "right pages," (under options) then re-insert your paper into the printer to print on the back side of the page, and print "left pages." OO will calculate the pages for you, number them properly (if the document includes page numbers), and print them so that all you have to do stack the printed pages and fold your booklet down the centre.

I haven’t played with anything other than a booklet. I have no idea how to do a tri-fold or French fold. For my booklet, I experimented with a simple four-page test (one sheet of paper, printed on both sides and folded down the centre). This was enough to show me how it works. On the front of the printed signature (options “right pages”) it printed (left to right) pages 4 and 1, and on the back of the signature (options “left pages”) it printed pages 2 and 3. I'm sure if I had more pages it would properly calculate the signatures (front 20 &1, back 2 & 19, etc.).

Actually, I don't remember for sure if pages 1 & 4 were "left pages" or "right pages". And since I only did a four-page test, using "reverse" was a non-issue. I would assume that if you were printing a 20-page booklet, that you would first print "left pages" (or "right pages"), re-insert the paper and print the remaining pages in reverse order - but that's only a guess. You can experiment with an 8-page booklet to confirm that.

I recently did a booklet project in Word Perfect where I needed to print multiple copies. Since pages sometimes stick together in my printer, my solution for that project was to print the booklet to a PDF file. The PDF file had the proper signatures (PDF page 1 -> booklet pages 20 & 1; PDF page 2 -> booklet pages 2 & 19; etc). Then I manually printed the PDF one page at a time (20 copies of PDF page 1, re-insert paper, 20 copies of PDF page 2, etc). This saved the frustration of printing the entire booklet (directly from Word Perfect) in two shots (front & back), only to be foiled by two pages sticking together at some point in the process. Since OO will also print to PDF, this same trick could be used if you need to print multiple copies on a printer that is prone to sticking pages.

It would be good if these details were added to the OO help. The current instructions tell briefly how to print a brochure (options -> brochure), but not how to design the document from the start. (That’s a hint for anyone who is involved in writing help for OO. Please feel free to plagiarize what I just wrote.)
hwtan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your discription, openRolf, it seems like the Brochure feature works like the IMSI Publisher, ie. print on one side of the sheets, turn the paper around, and print the other side of the sheets.

Thanks for you patient and help.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a duplex printer, and it works automagically with that!
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Printing booklets Reply with quote

With Fineprint you can print booklets from any application, also print in duplex mode. it is very good.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fineprint does not run on *nix, however.
Torkil

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: booklet four pages Reply with quote

One of the reasons bookletrpinting have been a little negected in most wordprocessors is to my opinion that US do not use a propartional paperformat like the A4-A5-A6 system.

What I am looking for is a method to simply design a book on several pages A4 and then print it out in scale 1:2, that is four pages A6 pr A4. I will then cut the paper across to A5, fold it, and have a small booklet of maybe 32 pages that fit into a (scouts) pocket.

If anyone can think of a way to incorporate that feature, and not only in writer, but Calc and maybe Draw as well.
A solution would be to use A5 paper sheets, but who has some of that when needed. The idea is also to make pdf-files ready to 'print your own copy' of the booklet.

With four pages pr page, any paperformat can be used, not only proportional.
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: booklet four pages Reply with quote

Torkil wrote:
What I am looking for is a method to simply design a book on several pages A4 and then print it out in scale 1:2, that is four pages A6 pr A4. I will then cut the paper across to A5, fold it, and have a small booklet of maybe 32 pages that fit into a (scouts) pocket.

The only thing I can think of that does something like this is described here:
http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19

HTH Smile,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: