OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

What is the maximum size of a file?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: What is the maximum size of a file? Reply with quote

I am converting a book I wrote into an eBook by scanning pages and inserting them into a text document which will ultimately all be saved to pdf. The book is 150 pages and after a little revising may be more. Can all this go into one file? If not, is there another way to create the eBook in pdf?
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the maximum size of a file? Reply with quote

Faye wrote:
I am converting a book I wrote into an eBook by scanning pages and inserting them into a text document which will ultimately all be saved to pdf. The book is 150 pages and after a little revising may be more. Can all this go into one file? If not, is there another way to create the eBook in pdf?

Can you "print" your ebook directly to a printer for a hardcopy? If so, then you simply use a program like Adobe, or see if another free program like Primo light version PDF Maker will do the job. In either case, you "print" all to the PDF document. Warning! If it is very large, will memory be sufficient? It might take a very long time to produce the PDF document depending on the nature of your book; does it have lots of graphic images etc..

If you can select part of your ebook to "print" that way to create your pdf file, you could experiment a little first. OR ...Do another dummy ebook for the experiment to see if it's what you want to do and can do.

David.
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the maximum size of a file? Reply with quote

Faye wrote:

Thanks for your reply, David. What I've tried so far is to scan several pages and save to files. Then I started a text file with the first page and used the insertion feature to add the next pages. Using these as a test I exported the file to pdf and the pages came out perfectly. I haven't tried printing feom either OpenOffice or pdf yet.

This is a time consuming process and I wanted to know if file size was limited. I would be pretty frustrated if I got maybe half way through doing the book only to discover I couldn't get any farther with it using the one file.

I'll look into the Primo light version PDF Maker. Thanks for the suggestion.

In answer to your question, the book doesn't have graphic images. As far as memory is concerned, are you referring to the length of time it would take to export the whole file to Pdf? I'm not quite sure how memory relates to this.

Faye
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no illlustrations, have you considered passing your scanned pages into an OCR programme and importing the text into Writer? You could then re-paginate, alter the margins etc. to suit on-screen reading.
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That's what I'm doing...saving to OCR and then importing. I probably wasn't too clear about this in my last reply. I will be doing some editing in Writer, along with changing margins and pageination once I have all the scanning and importing done.

Thanks for your input. Being a newbie to Writer every bit of advice surely helps!
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a document with more than 170 pages. No problem (until now...)
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right - well, 150 pages should be fine, if a little slow.

Read up on master documents - if you put each chapter in a separate file and then use a master doc to pull them togehter for printing it will be a lot more conven ient. And the overhead of handling 150 pages will only happen once.
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm on the right track on this. My book, even with some revising probably won't exceed 150 pages...and I don't mind it being slow. Once I get the finished product in pdf I can go on to all the details involved with getting it marketable online.
Thanks to all for your help!
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What is the maximum size of a file? Reply with quote

[quote="Faye"]
Faye wrote:
I am converting a book I wrote into an eBook by scanning pages and inserting them into a text document which will ultimately all be saved to pdf.

I'll look into the Primo light version PDF Maker. Thanks for the suggestion.

In answer to your question, the book doesn't have graphic images. As far as memory is concerned, are you referring to the length of time it would take to export the whole file to Pdf? I'm not quite sure how memory relates to this.

Faye

My suggestion is that if you can print your ebook, then you can convert it directly into a PDF. You won't need to scan first, and scanning produces images which unless I'm mistaken generally take more space producing much larger files. If you can print from your ebook, then you can "print" directly to a PDF file as readily, and so produce the PDF with no further effort than that. The software allows you to choose to make a PDF from the list of your available printers. Primo is just one example of such freeware. Instead of actually printing, it leads you into the PDF maker dialogue. Also, if you want to save paper in actual printing, you can use a program like shareware Fineprint.

David.
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eBook is going to be a new, revised edition of a book I wrote and published some years ago. At the time I was using Word Star 2000, so I have the book on disc...but I haven't found a way to convert it in order to read it in either Word (which I no longer have) or OOo. I have the finished pages that I sent to my bookmaker for the first printing, and those are what I'm scanning. The only way I would be able to avoid the scanning would be to find software that would convert the book from Word Star 2000 to OOo. Maybe you know of software that would do this?
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faye wrote:
At the time I was using Word Star 2000, so I have the book on disc...but I haven't found a way to convert it

I'm a w2000 owner as well, on a machine in the attic. Have you been to http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm ? W2K came with a separate converter that can produce .rtf files - OOo can read .rtf
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'll check this out. However, I don't have the w2000 software on my present computer because the software is on 5.25 floppies. I don't remember if I copied these to discs. I do still have an older computer that (I think) has a floppy disc drive. Maybe I can get all this to come together for me. Thanks for the info!
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faye wrote:
I have the finished pages that I sent to my bookmaker for the first printing, and those are what I'm scanning.

Sorry, you hadn't made that clear, or I misunderstood. I thought you were printing fresh from your disk.

David.
Faye
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault....I hadn't made that clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: