OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't get send - email to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john262

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Can't get send - email to work Reply with quote

I am using OO 1.9.95 on Windows XP SP2.

In writer when I click on "file - send - document as email" I get an error message that says it can't find a working email configuration. I have searched the web and the Open Office web site for the answer to this question but I can't find it. You would think that this question would be prominently displayed in the FAQ's, but I can't find it there.

So my question is, how do I configure OO to work with my email client?

BTW, I did read that I need to go to tools- options - external programs, but when I click on tools- options the "external programs" option is not listed. What gives?

Thank you.

John
9point9

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds as if you don't have an email client set up to send an email from. That is what the lack of working email configuration is. The same would happen if you tried to click on a mailto: link on a website.

What you would have to do is set up an email client to access an email address before you can send emails from OOo. Many email providers will provide the ability to access email through an email client.

For the choice of client I would recommend Mozilla Thunderbird. I wouldn't recommend MS Outlook Express as it's about as safe as playing with landmines.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
john262

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, but yes, I do have an email client setup. When I click on a mailto link on a website or in OO it opens right up. So that's not the problem. But the "file - send - document as email" command still doesn't work and I am still getting that error message.

I already know about Thunderbird and use it already, but thanks for the advice. But just in case TB was the problem, I temporarily made OE my default email client but it didn't work with OO either.

Any other ideas?
john262

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess nobody has an answer for this problem.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get send - email to work Reply with quote

john262 wrote:

BTW, I did read that I need to go to tools- options - external programs, but when I click on tools- options the "external programs" option is not listed.

Shouldn't that be:

Tools>Options...>Internet>E-mail

on 2.0 beta? It is on 1.9.104 on Linux.
thor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Send email from ooffice Reply with quote

Quote:
In writer when I click on "file - send - document as email" I get an error message that says it can't find a working email configuration.

I did Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - external programs
- send your document as email

I didn't get kmail working from the menu, but had to choose Others, and give the full path to kmail: /usr/bin/kmail

Then it works like a dream!

If your menu differs slightly from mine, it is because my version is Norwegian. Good luck!
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is related to the MS MAPI interface that some mail clients support and others donīt. When I use a non-MAPI client (Foxmail) as the default client, the error message appears. When I switch to Outlook Express as the default client, the Send document as E-mail command works and an OE window appears to send the mail, with the document attached. However, when I close the OE window, the error message appears again.

I use 1.9.104, English version. In this version, I donīt find any setting that allows the mail program to be defined in Tools, Options...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: