OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

View Post Since Last Visit link not working properly.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: View Post Since Last Visit link not working properly. Reply with quote

Dear Webmaster,

I am using Win XP Hone with Opera 7.11 and the View Post since last visit does not work properly.

Just logged in and the main page shows that there are some 200 new posts since the last time I logged in. Clicking the link only yield 1 result as the new post. I then click the back button on my browser and click on the link again. This time the site tells me that there are no such new posts and I got an empty list eventhough the link still shows I have those 200 odds unread posts!

What's wrong?

Also may I suggest that a new feature be added to the search page so that users can search those last posts since a given date to overcome the above issue?

Thanks.
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

On my computer this has worked flawlessly since I joined. Anybody had troubles with it?
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any problems. I'm using Opera 7.11 on SuSE Linux 8.1

Just a thought, but could it be something to do with your cookie settings?

Russ
DannyB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works okay for me. Mozilla on WinXP at office, Konqueror on SuSE Linux 8.1 at home.

I did have it not respond twice in a row yesterday afternoon. But after waiting a short time and trying again, it worked.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced same problem earlier while using Opera 6.05 with Win98SE and it disappeared misteriously.

I have allowed all cookies setting on my browser and it still does not resond correctly. Sad
akohlsmith
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same problem. Konqueror from KDE CVS HEAD, Slackware 9.0.

It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Cookie policy is accept all from .ooforum.org.

At least with me, I think it has something to do with OOForum timing out and forgetting my session. I can get 2-3 pages of "posts since last visit" but if I wait a bit of time before clicking the next page link it seems to forget. I'd love to see a 1h timeout minimum on this feature.
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwchia wrote:
I experienced same problem earlier while using Opera 6.05 with Win98SE and it disappeared misteriously.

I have allowed all cookies setting on my browser and it still does not resond correctly. Sad

You're probably having problems with Opera's default cache settings, which are not friendly to dynamic sites like OOoForum. Cwchia, this was the problem you had the last time (some months ago) you had problems with the site. The fix was to change your cache settings if I remember correctly.

In Opera 7, set your advanced cache settings such that documents are checked every time (as opposed to the default which is once every 5 hours or something like that). If you leave the default, session management tends to break. This is the one thing I don't like about Opera. They talk about how fast the browser is yet their cache settings are way more aggressive than other browsers.

Akohlsmith, I think I set the session period to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of idle time, the session expires. I'll see about making the session period longer. I did cut the period shorter some time ago because the session table would grow too big too fast at times. I also had to add some code to phpbb such that when there are too many sessions, the older ones get deleted. That may be the problem you're seeing.

At some point, the home page is going to be redone. At the moment, it's a bit overscripted (too much php).

Edward
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: