OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Copy paste problem from the web

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benkong2

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Copy paste problem from the web Reply with quote

Is there a way to prevent text, copied from a web page and then, being pasted in oo writer from being in a table?

I copied some text from a web page pasted in oo and it comes in the form of a table. I then tried edit paste special and got the same results. I then tried edit paste special and selected rtf format and oo crashed. When I restarted the auto error thingy came up and I submitted the error....but my question remains..

How can I paste without it being in a table form?

WinXP, OO 1.9.69
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not "you"--- We want all the bells & whistles--- then we trip over them (or they get in our way at times). OOWriter is interpreting the code that comes along with the copy/paste.

I've run into the same problem copy/paste from .pdf files as well as web-sites-- my solution is not elegant, but I use it all the time. Copy the page-- then paste into Wordpad (assuming you are on Windows). Wordpad is "included" and has enough features to maintain basic formatting. Pasting it into Wordpad strips the code you want to get rid of. Then re-Copy/re-Paste, this time to OOWriteer

Ocassionally that doesn't remove enough code- so I'll go back and do it in Notepad. However, I'd prefer to keep basic formatting if I can.

If the information gets "mixed up"- you can always copy a smaller portion at a time-- but that is seldom necessary.

A little utility that I use from time to time is called emailstripper:
http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
It takes all those ">>>" out of emails. It also strips out just about every formatting thing you can think of--- If Wordpad & Notepad don't strip out what I need, I use this little program. (Beware-- it strips out just about everything. You will probably end up reformatting the text manually--- but I sure get frustrated with tables where I don't want them).

There are commands to turn off table formatting-- I probably wasn't patient enough; but these three did the trick for me (Usually only needed Wordpad-- but I'm glad to have all three at my disposal).

katie
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benkong2,

You can also Long click the paste button and select Unformatted text to paste from the clipboard without formatting.

HTH Smile,
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:
Hi Benkong2,
You can also Long click the paste button and select Unformatted text to paste from the clipboard without formatting.
HTH :),

Simple elegance.......

(I just spent half-hour trying to figure "What the heck does he mean?")---- I never use the cut/paste buttons. I use ctrl-c, ctrl-v--- I use the right click menue---

In some programs, like AbiWord, the right click menue offers the unformatted option-- but I hadn't realized that OOo has a full menue "behind the curtains".

Thanks for the lesson,
katie
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi katie,

I'm sorry, I forgot to explain this when posting (and have been asked what it means before):
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=67448#67448

Anyway, glad you found it useful Smile

BFN,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: