OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Where do get BASE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhrakkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Where do get BASE? Reply with quote

Am I blind?

I downloaded the latest snapshot and didnt see BASE in the install...
Can anyone show me the latest install that has BASE in it?

Thanks!
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base is only in 1.9.x snapshots. I presume you downloaded 1.1.4. 1.9.x are only intended for testing at the moment so if you just want to play with Base it'll be OK. 1.9.104 is the latest snapshot toward 2.0. It is available here:
http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
toiler
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Where do get BASE? Reply with quote

Two things:

First, in OOo 1, the Base program was just a client. You still needed an outside database, such as MySQL, Microsoft Access, dbase, etc. In OOo 2, you will be able to use a native OOo database on the backend. (I still prefer MySQL.)

Second, OOo works differently than other office suites. The Base program (and Writer, etc) run inside the same interface. It would be as if Microsoft Office were a single program, and then to do a spreadsheet you just open a spreadsheet or to do a document you just open a document.

In OOo 1, only one shortcut to the program appeared in the start menu. In OOo 2, several shortcuts appear, but the Base link still opens in the same program as the Writer link. It just launches a different look and feel (or a connection wizard).

In OOo 2, you can choose not to install Base, but I'm not sure what this actually accomplishes (i.e., is the code missing or just the startup links?).
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Base in 1.1.4 Reply with quote

I thought that dBASE was a native file for OOo 1.1.4

The dbf were created using the datasource option and even thought it doesnt have a front page still have most of the modules used in 2.0

And the automatization on the Wizards.

Can you point out some of the differences now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
toiler
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Base in 1.1.4 Reply with quote

JZA wrote:
I thought that dBASE was a native file for OOo 1.1.4

Maybe so. I guess I just assumed that you had to have your own database program. Still, I know that a major thrust of the new version (OOo 2) is to provide a native database backend, because "that was missing from OOo 1".

See [url]http://dba.openoffice.org/ [/url] for more on this.
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base comes with a HSQLDB database enginewhich can be used to create databases from scratch, rather in the same way as Approach doesn't have a specially created database engine but can create and edit dBase files, and both can use various database drivers installed on the computer seperately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: