OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Too slow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashjx
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Too slow! Reply with quote

OOo works too slow on the old computers & notebooks. I have 400 Mz notebook & OOo works very slow. May be they have some way to speed it up??? Sometimes i have to wait for 20 seconds to open new document... It drives me crazy! I can wait! Very Happy
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What OS and what version of OOo are you using?

Also, what Ram does the machine have?

Ian
slashjx
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Windows XP, OOo version 1.1.4 (i think the last version, but not last beta version)

My notebook has got 320 Mb of Ram...
Fortinbras
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how to reduce OOo start-up speed and loading times dramatically:

When you start up OOo or open any OOo-document, OOo always tries to contact your default printer, which takes quite some time because it will take precious seconds communicating with the printer.

Solution: in Windows XP, I've set 'Fax' as the default printer. Now the start-up speed is much faster. Of course, if I want to print a document, I must select my printer manually....

Starting OOo for the first time now takes 13 seconds (on my high end portable), from then on opening a document is instantanious.
When honour's at the stake.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

You have to bear in mind, of course, that when you load OOo you load the entire suite so on your hardware that wil seem a long time. You can "lighten the load" a bit I suppose by running the OOo setup and slecting modify and removing modules you don't use.

However, your biggest issue I think is that you are running Win XP on a 4oomhz machine. I suspect your problem probably has more to do with that thn anything else.

Ian
slashjx
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but you know, windows XP works fine on this machine... These tips helped me... Thank you! Somethimes it's working slow, sometimes not, but anyway thank you!
kieranmullen
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. You should stick with windows 98SE. Also you dont have a whole lot of ram either. What free memory do you have? You could be swapping it out alot onto the hard drive which really slows things down.

Kieran Mullen
myles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Changing default printer fixes problem immediately Reply with quote

The solution to change your default printer works perfectly. My OpenOffice installation was running fine once started, but it was too slow to start up. I have a Athlon 2600+ (1.91MHz) with 1.00 GB of RAM (2x512). Even with the command "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.4\program\quickstart.exe" in my "startup" directory, it would still take either 32 seconds or 22 seconds to start when I had no existing OO windows open. Only occassionally did a new window open as soon I clicked on a Writer or Calc icon. Waiting that long was intolerable! Then I read this thread, tried the solution, and felt like I had just lost 15 pounds in a day while eating ice cream and having my feet up on the desk.

My default printer is one that is networked and often isn't really there. I changed my default printer to a PDFwriter (or fax would work just as well). Now, any time I click on a OO icon when there are no OO windows already running, a new window appears ready to use within less than 1 second.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: