OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo Base limitations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: OOo Base limitations Reply with quote

Hello,

Normally, I try not to focus too much on OOo Base's shortcomings However, recently I've discovered something that could be a real show stopper for me. I had a dictionary file containing around 42000+ entries, and I decided to create a simple dictionary database in Base. I imported the file into the database, no problems there. But when I tried to run a simple search, I was unpleasantly surprised as the search was dreadfully slow. It took about 3 min, and it seems like OOo Base goes through every single record starting from the currently selected record! Shocked This means that it took a second or so to find a word starting with A, but it took several minutes to find a word starting with Z. My first thought was that maybe OOo Base did it only during the first run while indexing records, but I was wrong. This is a major bummer. I mean, 42000+ entries is by no means a big database, and if Base can't handle this, what on earth can it be used for?

Either this or maybe I'm doing something wrong Rolling Eyes

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Last edited by Lazy-legs on Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Lewis Brunton
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have found that the db interface makes a very real difference.

I have been using OOo with a MySQL backend, and the JDBC interface is a LOT slower than te ODBC one.

As an example jumping from the first to last record in a table of 20000 records takes the ODBC interface about 10 seconds. Doing them same with the JDBC interface takes about 3 minutes!!!

regards

Lewis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: