OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

how do I page style??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajsc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: how do I page style?? Reply with quote

I want to create a new page style: apply new margines, etc and everything is OK so far. But when I want to use OOo later the new page style is no longer there, WHY?? What shall I do to make it permanent?? When I open my OOo I want the newly created page syle to be ready o use. Do you know how o do it. Please HELP, HELP
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styles definitions works only inside a document. If you want to use this style in more documents, you need to create a template. Open the document in which you created your style, delete all the content and do File -> Save As and select "text document template" (sxw) as format. Then, you can create a new document based in that template with File -> New -> templates and documents. In File -> Templates -> organize you can put your template as default.
ajsc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the answer. Thus, if syles can be aplied only within he documents, is here any way to create a macro that would make all the neceassary changes?? I would click on a prepared menu button that would acivate a macro and the margines and all the reast would be changed????
carl
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can specify and save as your default a template with many different styles to choose from.

NB its a good idea to to check in the Organiser
(in stylist>page right click on a style and modify)
that the follow on page is appropriate eg plalin paper after a letter heading
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajsc, you seem not to have understood RGB's reply well. The answer for you is (1) to create a template that contains your custom page style, and (2) to set that template as the default. From then on, File - New will use your template and hence, each new file will immediately adopt your prefered settings.

(1) To learn how to create templates, see "templates; creating document templates" in help (type "templates" in the search term box, then you will see this heading highlighted

(2) To change the default template, look up "templates; default templates" in help.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
ajsc, you seem not to have understood RGB's reply well.

Something in my english, I suppose... Embarassed
Wink
ajsc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or maybe mine, but anyway I have got it working, template is the only solution here. Thanks once again
johnmsch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New user here, and the more I play with Writer, the more impressed I am! However, I'm disapointed with this procedure.

I created a document from scratch and created a few page styles on the fly. I then started a second document, and the new page styles were not available. I had to recreate each one manually - again. I spent some time trying to figure out how to save the styles "globally" so that they would be available to any future documents I created. I just came to this board to search for a solution to this problem. I was hoping that there was a way to save the styles for future use. After all, the default styles are saved somewhere!

From what I gather, the procedure to save any new styles goes like this:
1) Work on my document and create needed styles on the fly.
2) When done with the document, save it.
3) Delete all text in the document, then save it as my new default template.

From that point on, whenever I'm working on a document and add new styles, I have to remember to repeat steps 2 & 3. Any idea why the styles can't be saved in a "global" manner without being part of a document/template?

Again, so far, I'm VERY impressed with Writer! Its just a different mindset that's going to take some getting used to.
carl
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create a template with as many page /paragraph stylesas you want ,
and then set that as your default so that it appears with every new writer doc that you open.
To set a custom template as the default, follow these steps:
1)From the main menu, choose File > Templates > Organize. The Template Management window opens. (For a picture of the Template Management window, see Illustration 3 on page 4.)
2)In the box on the left, double-click the Default folder, or Commands and choose a doc/ Import
3)In the Default folder, click the template that you want to set as the default.
4)Click the Commands button. The context menu appears.
5)From the context menu, choose Set as Default Template. The next time that you create a document by choosing File > New > Text Document, the document will be created from this template.
6)To close the Template Management window, click Close.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you create 'styles on the fly', you can always add the valuable ones to an existing template using File - Templates - Organise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: