OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Imported equations from Powerpoint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benwei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Imported equations from Powerpoint Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm having some trouble with imported equations from Powerpoint documents. I have a PowerPoint document, created in PowerPoint 2003, and I'm trying to open it in Impress. Most things translate over fine, but the equations look like they have all the text bunched up in the lefthand corner (example of what I'm talking about here). When I double click on the equations, however, a new window opens and they render perfectly (example here, same exact equation as before).

Why are the equations not rendering correctly in the slides themselves?

Thanks,
Ben

(By the way, this is with NeoOffice/J, but I've had the same problem on the most recent OOo stable version on Linux also)[/img][/url]
yorick
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Imported equations from Powerpoint Reply with quote

benwei wrote:
Hello,

Hi Ben
Quote:
I'm having some trouble with imported equations from Powerpoint documents. I have a PowerPoint document, created in PowerPoint 2003, and I'm trying to open it in Impress. Most things translate over fine, but the equations look like they have all the text bunched up in the lefthand corner

Why are the equations not rendering correctly in the slides themselves?

Frankly I don't know. You would have to ask Microsoft. Unfortunately they don't tell us their code and our developers have to back engineer everything, consequently things are not always perfect. If you have access to a PC (I'm not sure of the state of play with the NeoOffice version of the 2.0 beta right now) try opening it in 1.9.113 and see if it works in that, the MS compatibility is much better. However be aware that is still a beta and if it doesn't like it, it won't be stable and the Impress component is still very much in the development stage.

Cheers
Yo.

http://www.ooogear.co.nz

OOo M237 on OpenSuSE 10.3, SLED10, Win2K, WinXP
benwei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yo,

Thanks for the suggestion about using the beta version, that was able to open the file and the equations rendered fine. It also fixed several smaller issues with the presentation.

I am aware of the fact that Microsoft's document formats are proprietary, and I did not mean the question in a demanding way at all. Since the equation was able to render perfectly in OOo when I viewed it alone, I figured the OOo could understand it, but was just having trouble displaying it in the context of the slide, which seemed odd, and I wanted to be sure it wasn't a configuration problem of some kind.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Ben
yorick
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benwei wrote:
Hi Yo,

Thanks for the suggestion about using the beta version,
> I wanted to be sure it wasn't a configuration problem of some kind.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Ben

No problem Ben, glad to help.

Heh and don't worry about the MS comments. The NZOSS here is just going through a patent objection to stop M$ trying to take possession of XML. So I've been tending to use every chance to jump on a soapbox. Nothing to do with your comments, other than the fact that it gave me a handle to swing the cat with. Wink

Cheers
Yo

http://www.ooogear.co.nz

OOo M237 on OpenSuSE 10.3, SLED10, Win2K, WinXP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: