OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

The reason OOo should be used in a business environment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: The reason OOo should be used in a business environment Reply with quote

I'm currently doing an internship at a big IT company. My current task is to finish translating a concept document.
The document was created in MS Word, and several people have worked on the translation before. Needless to say that this has created a huge mess, with spaces and tabs used for formatting all over the place - to the point that I'd be afraid to publish the document for fear of making the company look like a bunch of incompetent morons.
That made me realize how great OOo's styles actually are: Had there been a proper template with all the required styles, the mess would definitely have been less severe (providing some basic training for my colleagues, but that shouldn't be a big deal). Plus there would have been a proper sense of Corporate Identity.
Too bad it's never gonna happen...

I just wanted to voice my anger/frustration, sorry for blocking the airwaves...
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem,

great to here from you and your experiences.
Why not try to educate them ?

DiGro
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiGro wrote:
Why not try to educate them?
Well, this is a big company (~1000 employees at my location, around 40k in total), and as such, it is resistant to change. Imagine the effort it would take to make 40.000 people* change the word processor - that'd be insane!

One example of how resistant to change people are: Recently, I created a few image files for use in a PowerPoint presentation. When my colleague inserted the image into the presentation, she didn't just use the "insert image" command - instead, she opened the file in the picture viewer, made a screenshot (using the PRINT key) and inserted the screenshot into the presentation (via CTRL+V). Then she cut off the borders with PowerPoint's built-in image editing feature.
Okay, so she didn't know any better, no problem. But I explained to her - calmly, respectfully - that she'd made a huge detour (not to speak of the poor quality due to the manual editing) and how it can be done a lot easier. Yet, she's still using the same method today (kinda reminds me of my mother Very Happy ). Now, do you really believe it'd even be possible to make her adjust to OOo? I don't think so, unfortunately.
Disclaimer: I don't mean to disrespect my colleague here, she's neither dumb (she's got a university degree) nor balky (we're getting along great) - she's simply representative of the majority of humanity, which is a flawed species in itself. Twisted Evil

* You can't have 20 people use OOo while the rest uses MSO. That'd require perfect interoperability (i.e. no loss of formatting or even content), which simply doesn't exist yet. Maybe that'll become possible when MS switches to an open XML format - but I'm still skeptical about their willingness to be open in any way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: