OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open Office spread sheet problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Open Office spread sheet problems Reply with quote

I've created an OO spread sheet, saved it, and when I try to open it the 'choose a program to open' box pops up. When I select Open Office as the program to open it I get a message saying that Open Office isn't a valid Win32 application. Any ideas as to what I need to do to get it running?

Thanks.

DRam
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The experts will probably need to know which OOo and which OS.

But assuming MS, check the program affiliations under Tools> File Types. If that doesn't work it might be necessary to reinstall OOo.

Sounds as if the installation did not properly associate the extensions. There is a screen at the beginning of the reinstall that will ask if you want to Repair try those steps. If that doesn't work try a reinstall of the download you currently have. If that doesn't work try a new download.
9point9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Open Office spread sheet problems Reply with quote

DRam wrote:
When I select Open Office as the program to open it I get a message saying that Open Office isn't a valid Win32 application.

What file are you selecting as the one to open it with? It should be soffice.exe.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
DRam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm - this makes me sound a little uninformed. I'll have to run up to the office and find out what operating system for sure, although I think it's XP Pro. If my memory is correct the Open Office version in 1.3, but I'll check this afternoon. While there I'll also check the tools>file types suggested. I've been choosing Open Office 1.3 to open the file. I'll look and see if soffice.exe is an option.

Thanks everyone.

DRAm
DRam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. It turned out that I just didn't know how to use the program. I'm used to going to 'My Documents' and double clicking a file to open it. Apparently OO doesn't work that way. When checking through the program options I found 'Open Program'. Or was it 'Open File'? Whichever it was It opened a screen that let me browse to 'My Documents' and open the spreadsheet file. Problem solved. It would have been nice had the person who installed the program left an instruction manual with it. Not that I would have read it before getting in over my head. I am a man, after all.

Thanks again.

Dram
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double click on a file must work. If it does not then there's something wrong with your installation.
DRam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll contact the person who installed the program. Thanks for the help everyone.

DRam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: